[OB]Gavilar's Shardblade Question

Dalakaar

Hey all!

Quick question for you on something in Oathbringer.

In the chapter, "The Subtle Art of Diplomacy" Dalinar saves Gavilar from a would-be assassin after spotting him carrying a knife suitable for a pork-steak. (And possibly after flipping the finger to an Unmade. >.< )

In that chapter, he kicks Gavilar's chair out from him to save him, then turns and dispatches the assassin.

The poignant part and crux of the question is this...

IMHO the time it takes Dalinar to subdue the assassin is significantly less than ten heartbeats. So firstly, would you agree after reading that?

Secondly, if that's the case, then a likely answer is that he is bonded (relatively-)normally to a spren to gain access to a "live" Shardblade capable of instant-summoning. That however, leads me to believe he was not bonded or becoming bonded to the Stormfather. Stormfather seems, er, "reluctant" to assume a bladeform.

Thoughts? :)

Edited by Dalakaar

Welcome to the Shard! I'm a little confused as to your question. Are you wondering if the knife he used to kill the assassin was a Shardblade? He grabbed the assassin's knife and used that to kill him.

Dalinar grunted. Then finally spotted a knife.

In the hand hidden behind the back of a server clearing Gavilar’s plates.

Dalinar kicked at his brother’s chair, breaking a leg off and sending Gavilar toppling to the ground. The assassin swung at the same moment, clipping Gavilar’s ear, but otherwise missing. The wild swing struck the table, driving the knife into the wood.

Dalinar leaped to his feet, reaching over Gavilar and grabbing the assassin by the neck. He spun the would-be killer around and slammed him to the floor with a satisfying crunch. Still in motion, Dalinar grabbed the knife from the table and pounded it into the assassin’s chest.

Edited by RShara

Heyas thanks for the welcome. The question is sort of open-ended in regards not to the knife but Gavilars shardblade and the fact(fact?) that his summoning happened within ten heartbeats meaning the blade cannot be a dead spren what with the requisite ten heartbeat summon. Just looking for feedback on what it could be. What gavilar would’ve bonded. Or if anyone disagrees and has ideas of their own on the same lines. It also possibly puts a hole through the gavilar-bonding stormfather theory I’ve seen discussed around. :)

He was starting to bond the stormfather possible on the second oath. When Szeth kills him he told him to leave Dalinar with the question. Whats the most important step a man can take? I'm not sure what part your talking about when he instantly summoned a blade.

Oh, I see. You are asking about Gavilar summoning his Shardblade, not Dalinar summoning a Shardblade (you might want to edit your post to say that you're wondering if Gavilar is bonded to a normal spren. I thought you meant Dalinar).

The average resting heart rate for an active older male in great shape is around 60 bpm. So around 1 beat every second. However, it is sped up by activity and emotion. So since Gavilar was at dinner, engaging in conversation, etc, let's guess it's at around 80 bpm. He would realize he's in danger before he starts summoning his Shardblade, so his heartrate would already kick up into fight or flight mode. Possibly somewhere around 100-120 bpm. That would take something like 5-8 seconds for his Shardblade to appear. I think we can agree that it took Dalinar that long to kill the assassin.

(Note 1: Gavilar had time to crash down in his chair, stare with horror, then jump up again, before his Shardblade appeared)

(Note 2: I just checked and it took 6 seconds for my heart to beat 10 times, just sitting here typing)

Edited by RShara

• Chaos locked this topic