Do hemalurgic spikes interfere with southern-scadrian medallions?

Krios

Question

Do hemalurgic spikes interfere with southern-scadrian medallions? And if they do, would they count to the three spike threshold for being controlled?

I can really see this going both ways, given that my theory on why medallions interfer is, that you are grafting to many different parts onto your spiritweb.

Thanks

6 answers to this question

56 minutes ago, Krios said:

Do hemalurgic spikes interfere with southern-scadrian medallions? And if they do, would they count to the three spike threshold for being controlled?

I can really see this going both ways, given that my theory on why medallions interfer is, that you are grafting to many different parts onto your spiritweb.

Thanks

Nope, to the best of my understanding they shouldnt interfere, they are operating on different mechanism in that the medallions dont actually make any real/permanent alterations to the user's spiritweb, which by extension means the web is not being damaged enough to give a Shard the same backdoor access that spikes do. 

That being said, we're pretty sure that hemalurgy is involved in the creation of medallions, and at least one fairly detailed theory by @Calderis speculates that the reason medallions (other than the Bands which are weird) have a limit on the the number of powers they can combine is for similar reasons, but the mechanism involved is a more of a Connection Interference issue rather than the Spiritweb Crack/Decoherence problems you have with with actual spikes. 

20 hours ago, goody153 said:

Wax with the bands of mourning is basically using a medallion while being hemalurgically spiked. So i guess no

I am quite sure Wax doesn't keep his Pathian earring all the time. So he didn't use both a Medallion and a Spike at the same time.

But as @king of nowhere said, Telsin did that and this without any trouble or Harmony be able to control her

On 12/15/2018 at 5:47 AM, goody153 said:

Wax with the bands of mourning is basically using a medallion while being hemalurgically spiked. So i guess no

In the Bands of Mourning, Wax is mad with Harmony, so he just throws away all the earrings given to him by the kandra. Now, the answer: No. The medallions work by granting you the ability to tap Investiture, which allows you to use a Metallic Art. Hemelurgy Permanently gives you the ability to use that art - unless the spike is pulled out.