The Unmade are Odium's prison; or, Odinalsium

Shaggai

I like many things about this theory.  How would ancient Parshendi have gotten their hands on so much Odium power in the first place, though?

Probably with the help of Honor. They can already absorb spren naturally. With a Shard to help them, they could have taken quite a bit of power from Odium. It might even have been part of the Oathpact, to which Odium was an unwilling party.

What if your premise is correct (Odium is bound to the Roshar system because of the Unmade), but through Odium's own actions rather than Honor's or anyone else?  I remember the WoB being fairly specific that the Oathpact was just between the Heralds and Honor, and no one else.

On the other hand, Odium may have created Slivers of Hate in order to combat Honor's Heralds.  I'm not sure how easily 6+ could be created, but we've seen something similar happen before.

What if your premise is correct (Odium is bound to the Roshar system because of the Unmade), but through Odium's own actions rather than Honor's or anyone else?  I remember the WoB being fairly specific that the Oathpact was just between the Heralds and Honor, and no one else.

On the other hand, Odium may have created Slivers of Hate in order to combat Honor's Heralds.  I'm not sure how easily 6+ could be created, but we've seen something similar happen before.

Ah, true. Odium wasn't part of the Oathpact. Then again, Odium could have been tricked, or Honor could have simply helped the Parshendi. I doubt Odium would bind himself to Roshar system without a compelling reason, and there doesn't seem to be one.

Since Odium wants to be the only shard, and Cultivation is still alive, wouldn't Odium's next goal be to kill Cultivation's holder and splinter it?

Possibly. She's still in the Rosharan system, so it's possible that he could manage it.

Very good idea. It seems to fit very well with the evidence you've presented. Basically, you're proposing that somewhere along the line, Odium was Splintered, and each Unmade took up the power of one of these Splinters? I have a couple thoughts about that.

First, a Splinter has its own consciousness, based on what we've seen before. The only Splinters in human bodies we've seen yet are Returned. But one has to die in order to Return, and the Returned are actively created by Endowment. If what you propose is correct, Odium would have been Splintered against his will and would not have given away his power like that. Also, the holders of the Unmade likely didn't die if they were willingly trying to stop Odium, unless their thinking was wrong and that is why they have come into his power and are now doing his work. But there also does not seem to be any way to Splinter part of a Shard's power without breaking all of it unless you are the Shard, as Odium did with Honor, Devotion, and Dominion. But still, cool idea. :)

Very good idea. It seems to fit very well with the evidence you've presented. Basically, you're proposing that somewhere along the line, Odium was Splintered, and each Unmade took up the power of one of these Splinters? I have a couple thoughts about that.

First, a Splinter has its own consciousness, based on what we've seen before. The only Splinters in human bodies we've seen yet are Returned. But one has to die in order to Return, and the Returned are actively created by Endowment. If what you propose is correct, Odium would have been Splintered against his will and would not have given away his power like that. Also, the holders of the Unmade likely didn't die if they were willingly trying to stop Odium, unless their thinking was wrong and that is why they have come into his power and are now doing his work. But there also does not seem to be any way to Splinter part of a Shard's power without breaking all of it unless you are the Shard, as Odium did with Honor, Devotion, and Dominion. But still, cool idea. :)

I'm not necessarily saying he was Splintered. It might have been possible to do something to siphon the power away instead of breaking it off. If they had already taken on Voidspren (or, in the course of the plan, did so), they could perhaps have had a Spiritual link with Odium, allowing more power to be drawn into them. This is a bit far-fetched, I admit, but we don't have much information as to how Splintering is done and what can be done with Investiture. Allomancers can pull power from Preservation, we know, but that might be simply part of how Leras chose to handle his Investiture.

The holders of the Unmade didn't die. By "they gave up their selves", I meant that they became the Unmade instead of whoever they were beforehand.

• 3 years later...
  • Chaos locked this topic