Phrasing a WoB

ILuvHats

Question

Hi.  I think I might be going to my first signing next month, the one in Chicago.  I just want some advice from more experienced people on how I should phrase my question.  Basically, I wanted to ask why the human/singer hybrids we've seen appear more human than singer, and if there are any crossbreeds that are more closely related to singers than humans.  

Also, I'm not set on this question, it was just the only thing I could think of that isn't super likely to get a RAFO.  If anybody has other ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

5 answers to this question

Looks like a good question to me. I'd say make sure you think ahead to try and anticipate a couple ways he might answer, to keep a good conversation running. Like if you get a "yes," to ask if there's a marbling pattern or color that's akin to Veden hair; not as unusual as crystal nails or harder teeth, but indicative of a piece of cross pollination. Or if you get a "no," to swing over and ask if singer races are as distinct and varied as the Vorins, Makabaki, and Iriali are for the humans.

17 hours ago, ILuvHats said:

If anybody has other ideas, I'm open to suggestions.

Your question is a good one, but if you have a chance to ask more, here are a couple of questions I have:

On 24.10.2018 at 0:23 PM, Isilel said:

1. Is Hoid a Ferring? - I am sure that he is, given his goal of connecting to the magical systems of all Shards, but it would be nice to get a confirmation, which would also furnish more basis for speculation about the means by which SouthScad Ferrings came into being, as well as how Kelsier managed to create The Bands of Mourning. It might be necessary to make clear that the question has nothing to do with Hoid's means of accessing Fortune - as Sanderson has already said that he is using a different mechanism for that.

2. Do singers have significantly longer life-spans than humans? - That would explain a lot of things that otherwise seem like world-building omissions, like lack of listener children in Eshonai's chapters in WoR, Sah's mate becoming very valuable due to her fertility after having just one kid, etc. It would also provide one more point of conflict between the species back when the endless wars started, as humans would have seemed particularly fickle and untrustworthy to the ancient singers, as new generations of humans questioned or rejected agreements made by their elders.

N°2 connects with your own question in interesting ways, IMHO.