Aether of night timeline

TrдVψLшR 0115

Question

I realize aether of night is not canon, but if it was, where would it take place in relation to the other books? Because I wonder if Brandon will actually end up cannibalizing even more parts or characters from the story. We’ve already seen a reference in Stormlight. Not only Mraize’s room, but literally the aether of night itself. 

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

Is Re-Shephir related at all to the Midnight Essence in Aether of Night?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

Yes. It's me, like-- Related in that Aether of Nightisn't canon, and I really liked how that worked in the cosmere, and I ported it to this instead. So that's like--

So you're not gonna write Aether of Night?

Aether of Night, I might eventually write, but the Mid--

It may be different?

Yeah

Maybe he will make Darro part a member of the 17thshard 

Rainier [PENDING REVIEW]

First, just please tell me anything about Nightblood--the book or the Type IV Awakened object. Or Warbreaker--the book or the Type II.

All right. My current plot for the book Nightblood. It's really minor, but it involves Darro entering the cosmere officially. He is a character from Aether of Night. He's a side character in that that I've always wanted to work into this main continuity, the real continuity, so he's coming

Edited by PelekinikeleT

3 answers to this question

The name of the world isn't given, and I don't know how much more there is to canabalize. But Aether are canon, and he plans to rewrite the book eventually. 

We see what appears to be an Amberite bud in Mraize's collection, and he actual uses the word Aether for the stain  on his paints in an OB interlude. 

And then we have this. 

Rainier [PENDING REVIEW]

First, just please tell me anything about Nightblood--the book or the Type IV Awakened object. Or Warbreaker--the book or the Type II.

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

All right. My current plot for the book Nightblood. It's really minor, but it involves Darro entering the cosmere officially. He is a character from Aether of Night. He's a side character in that that I've always wanted to work into this main continuity, the real continuity, so he's coming.

source

@Calderis Cool, thanks! I’ve seen him talking about how he was getting more serious about the cosmere aspect of his books around the time that he wrote aether and Mistborn. Because of that I was wondering if there was anything to “The Former” in relation to Brandon’s plan for the shards. Maybe like some backstory for Ati.

Edited by PelekinikeleT

Without going into details that belong on the Aether board, given that it was confirmed that 'Decay' from Aether became Ruin I think it's pretty safe to assume that the 'Former' became Preservation.

But yeah, the only thing we can say about the timeline is that as he conceives it now, Aether takes place before Nightblood since Darro from the former is intended to appear in the latter. As Brandon conceived things when he wrote the version of Aether that we currently have, we can't say. There's going to be so much that will inevitably change between the current draft and what gets canonized...