On the meaning of "Kholin"

Aeshdan

With the release of Oathbringer, we now know that "Adolin" is derived from "Adoda", meaning "born unto", and "Lin", meaning "light". But his last name is "Kholin", which also contains "lin". Which prompts two questions:

1) What does "Kholin" mean?

2) Is it a coincidence that the family whose name is apparently connected in some way to Light contains such a disproportionate number of Radiants?

Kholin is just Khokh and Linil smashed together. We don't know either of those meanings yet. 

I think the amount of Radiants is just because of their brokenness as people due to Gavilar and the Rift and all that stuff, plus each of them has some code they keep to to be "approaching radiance." 

Radiant spren are more likely to look to Alethkar due to it's historical significance (WoB below).  Plus, there's a sort of feedback loop where existing Radiants draw the attention of more spren, which results in more Radiants.  This is seen in Oathbringer when the honorspren cluster around Kaladin and the Bridge Four squires, and eventually bond with some of them.  

Questioner

Why are there so many Kholins that are Radiants? Is there a story reason or...

Brandon Sanderson

There is a story reason, kind of. So the Kholin family is in Alethkar, which was the hereditary-- one of the homes of the Knights Radiant. It's still kind of in the forefront of the-- how shall we say-- the collective unconscious and things like this. Plus there's--

Questioner

And then they are on the forefront of that.

Brandon Sanderson

Yes. I mean-- Yeah. And so the spren, some of them are naturally looking for where a lot of Radiants used to be. So it's just a higher concentration of spren around the area, if that makes sense?

source

Well, obviously Jasnah is the only Kholin to have achieved Kolinahr..........oh wait, I'm mixing worlds again........

Seriously though, I think Jofwu has done quite a bit of research on glyphs.  I tried to find a specific thread but could not.

Edited by Willshaping Crasher
Cut off my comment looking for information

• Chaos locked this topic