Shardplate Designs

Invocation

It's not that far off.
I imagined them to have more decorations. I know that they are harmfull in a battle, but this is a shardplate we're talking about.

Maybe a bit more like these gauntlets (in silver though, not in gold like in the picture)
Gauntlets

Edited by Sorana

4 minutes ago, Sorana said:

It's not that far off.
I imagined them to have more decorations. I know that they are harmfull in a battle, but this is a shardplate we're talking about.

Maybe a bit more like these gauntlets (in silver though, not in gold like in the picture)
Gauntlets

I should have clarified that I meant more like the base designs that users would add to on their own terms, in their own fashions. Fixed now.

Oh, sorry ;)

Well what you posted is a classical plate armor. The part around the ellbow is a bit to big to be really usefull in battle, because it will more likely catch a blade, than let it slip off, but appart from that, it's a typical mixture of historical and fantasy...

3 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Oh, sorry ;)

Well what you posted is a classical plate armor. The part around the ellbow is a bit to big to be really usefull in battle, because it will more likely catch a blade, than let it slip off, but appart from that, it's a typical mixture of historical and fantasy...

Fair enough. ngl, I'm just trying to put together a set of armor that I can save for and end up cosplaying Dalinar in full plate

Just now, Invocation said:

Fair enough. ngl, I'm just trying to put together a set of armor that I can save for and end up cosplaying Dalinar in full plate

Well for Dalinar I would really look for something more decorated.
And I just realized that's a ConQuest armor. (reading helps)

15 minutes ago, Sorana said:

Well for Dalinar I would really look for something more decorated.

I thought Dalinar said he respected the "natural majesty of Shardplate," so he had it buffed back to gray and everything ornamental that would come off removed. Am I misremembering?

Edited by Invocation

Just now, Invocation said:

I thought Dalinar said he respected the "natural majesty of Shardplate," so he had it buffed back to gray and everything ornamental that would come off removed. Am I remembering?

You're right. Point for you ;)
That one never changed in my head. Shardplates simply are unpractical magical armours in my head.

An unornamented armor does not mean it is not complex. Remember the descriptions about larger plates filled between with smaller plates, and those being filled. It is about movement and completeness of protection, not about the style. It won't have flowers and curls and inlays, but it will have corners, lots of reticulations and lots of shape adhesion to the person. No openings, deflection angles, and no edges to catch blows.

13 minutes ago, 1stBondsmith said:

An unornamented armor does not mean it is not complex. Remember the descriptions about larger plates filled between with smaller plates, and those being filled. It is about movement and completeness of protection, not about the style. It won't have flowers and curls and inlays, but it will have corners, lots of reticulations and lots of shape adhesion to the person. No openings, deflection angles, and no edges to catch blows.

So what I'm hearing is I need to buy some of the alteration plates too, yeah?

On 30. 8. 2018 at 11:05 PM, Life&Death said:

I always imagined it sort of like an extra bulky Iron Man suit. Less bulky than the hulk-buster, but more then the regular ones.

Somethink like first iron man suit with complexness of later ones looking like knight armor.

Overall design? I agree, particularly the helm.

But I also agree with what people are saying about added bulk.  I think it should look less like "I'm wrapped in metal" and more like "I'm in a mech suit", even more so than Iron Man.

This bulk: https://assets.vg247.com/current//2013/09/1379316716-heavy-soldier.jpg, but with the shardplate aesthetics/design.

I don't do much cosplaying, but I think anything that adds your height (like thickening the shoe bottoms) would also be awesome.

Edited by Zellyia

• 2 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic