Mistborns and Allomancy post Harmony

Numb

I finally got around to reading Alloy of Law which I've been putting off since reading a Mistborn book without Vin or a descended of Vin felt too wrong for me. Anyway it was rather enjoyable but the mythical nature of Mistborns really bugged me. I've been trying to find any info about this but the best I found was the wiki suggesting it has to do with dilution which doesn't sound right.

Did Harmony change Allomancy in a way to remove any potential for Mistborns? I know he changed Spook to be a mistborn which should have been the same as Elend or the original Allomancers which means there is at least one pure enough line that could produce Mistborns. The nature of the kidnappings suggest that at least one group of people believe there can be mistborns(I assume that's why they only kidnap women from Spook's line). They also talk about Vin but don't seem to believe she was actually a mistborn either or do they just not believe she was real?

It was rather strange reading from a Twinborns perspective, seeing the protaganists struggle to deal with a Coinshot/Lurcher where as Vin would deal with a whole group of them with ease. The cosmere implications of not having Mistborns seem huge to me. I don't think we have come across a magic system yet that offers as much destructive potential was Vin did and she did that with barely any knowledge of Allomancy. I really hope this isn't the case and we do see more Mistborn using all the magic has to offer.

Spook was a reduced-strength Mistborn a la Kelsier and Vin, not a Lerasium-level one a la Elend. So with Elend dead, there are no Lerasium strength allomancers around, and the blood got diluted. Take into account, too, that the classes changed after Harmony – there's more mixing of bloodlines, so the power is being diluted over a larger population.

As for seeing more Mistborn, well... The plot of the next trilogy begins with a allomantic SWAT team called in to deal with a Mistborn serial killer. And there will probably be more Lerasium eventually, so the bloodlines can get re-Invested again.

I thought Lerasium changes the sDNA if you aren't a allomancer to give you allomancy. Wouldn't Harmony have done the same thing to Spook to give him his Mistborn powers so why would he be reduced like Vin/Kel? The latter information is good to know, I really want to see what a Mistborn with full knowledge of all the Metals(Not just 16) could do.

Harmony used his godly power and made him a reduced-power Mistborn on purpose. He probably didn't trust him with the full power.

Shardhunt Spoilers

For good reason apparently. Hemalurgy is a big no-no, Spook.

Edited by PorridgeBrick

Bloodline dilution through hundreds of years lead to no mistborns that anyone on Scadrial is aware of in the AoL stories. Keep in mind what Kelsier says though, there is always another secret! Everyone thought Shan was just a Rioter too...

Shardhunt Spoiler

Why is hemalurgy a no-no in and of itself? Because you have to steal other people's essences? You don't have to kill, we have WoB on that, though it does mess people up. Ruin isn't around to mess up Hemalurgists, just Harmony now and I don't see him doing that. 

It would be interesting to see a Hemalurgist show up on Roshar where Odium might be able to take control of them...

Spook was a reduced-strength Mistborn a la Kelsier and Vin, not a Lerasium-level one a la Elend. So with Elend dead, there are no Lerasium strength allomancers around, and the blood got diluted. Take into account, too, that the classes changed after Harmony – there's more mixing of bloodlines, so the power is being diluted over a larger population.

As for seeing more Mistborn, well... The plot of the next trilogy begins with a allomantic SWAT team called in to deal with a Mistborn serial killer. And there will probably be more Lerasium eventually, so the bloodlines can get re-Invested again.

we know the plot fo the nxt trilogy? Where can I get this info?

Harmony used his godly power and made him a reduced-power Mistborn on purpose. He probably didn't trust him with the full power.

Shardhunt Spoilers

For good reason apparently. Hemalurgy is a big no-no, Spook.

Read the chapter previews in the Shardhunt on Brandon's website.

I just Read all the PReview Chapters, could you be a Bit more Specific?

EDIT: Ignore all That. I found it 2 minutes after I Posted this. Here's a Link: http://brandonsanderson.com/shadows-of-self/

Edited by The Only Joe

• Chaos locked this topic