Roshar "solar"system?

Arin

I know very little about the Roshar "solar" system so I figured I would ask. It is said that Urithiru was built nearest to Honor. We know Urithiru is near the center of the Roshar mainland, high in the mountains. What is up from there? I remember moons and or planets, but not specifics. Are there any theories or WoB about the Roshar system?

There are numerous WoB about Roshar's solar system!

Roshar is a very different planet in terms of the cosmere. It is inhabited by three Shards, more than we know of on any other planet. It is part of a solar system, named Greater Roshar, that actually has multiple Shardworlds in it.

I don't think we have WoB on the order of the planets, but in terms of importance, Roshar is first. It has three moons, which cycle every night. They are Salas, Nomon, and Mishim, and appear in that order every night on Roshar.

The next most important planet is Braize. This is referred to by Rosharans as Damnation, but I don't believe they know that it is an actual planet. Braize is where Odium is in present day Roshar. Beyond that, we really don't know anything about the planet, but it will become more important as the series goes on.

Least important right now is the planet Ashyn. This planet is not inhabited by a Shard, as far as I can recall, but it does have some Shardic influence. Brandon has written a book entitled The Silence Divine set on Ashyn. He eventually intends to rewrite and publish this one. As far as we know, Ashyn will have no significance to the Stormlight Archive.

I am not the most literate in theories, but I don't believe there are any significant theories pertaining to Greater Roshar.  :)

More information on these topics and similar ones can be found on the Coppermind.

Roshar is a very different planet in terms of the cosmere. It is inhabited by three Shards, more than we know of on any other planet. It is part of a solar system, named Greater Roshar, that actually has multiple Shardworlds in it.

I don't think we have WoB on the order of the planets, but in terms of importance, Roshar is first. It has three moons, which cycle every night. They are Salas, Nomon, and Mishim, and appear in that order every night on Roshar.

The next most important planet is Braize. This is referred to by Rosharans as Damnation, but I don't believe they know that it is an actual planet. Braize is where Odium is in present day Roshar. Beyond that, we really don't know anything about the planet, but it will become more important as the series goes on.

Least important right now is the planet Ashyn. This planet is not inhabited by a Shard, as far as I can recall, but it does have some Shardic influence. Brandon has written a book entitled The Silence Divine set on Ashyn. He eventually intends to rewrite and publish this one. As far as we know, Ashyn will have no significance to the Stormlight Archive.

I am not the most literate in theories, but I don't believe there are any significant theories pertaining to Greater Roshar.  :)

More information on these topics and similar ones can be found on the Coppermind.

One nitpick, I don't think Brandon has written The Silence Divine yet.  It is not the same situtation as White Sand or Dragonsteel, which do need to be rewritten, it is just flat unwritten.  He has been talking about it for years but he only recently started actually writing it. (And he wasn't supposed to yet, at least Peter was surprised when Brandon read some of it on tour).

One nitpick, I don't think Brandon has written The Silence Divine yet. It is not the same situtation as White Sand or Dragonsteel, which do need to be rewritten, it is just flat unwritten. He has been talking about it for years but he only recently started actually writing it. (And he wasn't supposed to yet, at least Peter was surprised when Brandon read some of it on tour).

I wasn't sure he had written it already. I checked the coppermind article and it said "unpublished" which I mistakenly assumed meant it was already written.

Cool that he's already started work on it. I imagined we wouldn't see this one for a long time, but maybe it'll come a bit sooner. I've always been interested in it. Is there a recording of Brandon reading from it?

Edited by GreyPilgrim

It's probably not Ashyn. We have this WoB (not direct):

Ashyn is mostly barren with small fertile patches. (source)
(edited for spelling of Ashyn)

That doesn't sound like the "Tranquiline Halls" to me. Kind of a depressing place.

I also doubt it's Braize (Damnation) was the Halls, because they are referred to as separate things and have different places within Vorinism.

It's possibly that Ashyn was more fertile before humanity was forced to flee to Roshar, if it is the Tranquiline Halls.

But it also makes sense for Braize to have been the Tranquiline Halls, then Odium came and the people retreated to Roshar and it became Damnation, and now the lore says they need to reclaim the Halls.

Least important right now is the planet Ashyn. This planet is not inhabited by a Shard, as far as I can recall, but it does have some Shardic influence. Brandon has written a book entitled The Silence Divine set on Ashyn. He eventually intends to rewrite and publish this one. As far as we know, Ashyn will have no significance to the Stormlight Archive.

I am not the most literate in theories, but I don't believe there are any significant theories pertaining to Greater Roshar. :)

Thank you for this information. I have more to look up. Does anyone know who the moons are named after? Noman sounds a lot like "no man", which was used to describe who built Urithiru.

Edited by Arin

It's possibly that Ashyn was more fertile before humanity was forced to flee to Roshar, if it is the Tranquiline Halls.

But it also makes sense for Braize to have been the Tranquiline Halls, then Odium came and the people retreated to Roshar and it became Damnation, and now the lore says they need to reclaim the Halls.

You do make a good point. Note, however, that there are still humans on Ashyn, as far as we know. So if some were thrown out of there, why were others left. Thinking about Shards, we know the people of Ashyn gain powers from illness. This doesn't really seem to fit any of the Shards that we know of in Greater Roshar. Definitely not Honor, possibly Cultivation; it is a sort of twisted healing, but its a stretch. Maybe Odium, but there's no real "hate" involved, and why would he keep some people there? with his direct influence, but expel others?

I wonder how three livable planets fitted into a single star system. since they are all temperate, they must be all three in the same orbit, at lagrangian points to each other. It's certainly no happenstance, so the shards set those planets up there. Who knows why.

Well, we don't know if Ashyn was ever more habitable, so it might not have to be in a habitable zone. The Shards definitely influenced it somehow, though.

Thank you for this information. I have more to look up. Does anyone know who the moons are named after? Noman sounds a lot like "no man", which was used to describe who built Urithiru.

The Shin refer to the moons as the Three Sisters. It could have something to do with that.

This is ridiculous speculation, no evidence whatsoever, but maybe each moon represents a Shard. That is probably not  true, since they are "sisters", and Cultivation is the only female Shard on the planet.

Another piece of speculation, a bit more informed, that just came to me: What if each planet had a Shard to start. Roshar for Honor, just because. Braize for Odium, because we know he is there now and it is Damnation. Ashyn for Cultivation, because of the literal lack of cultivation there now. Maybe Odium expelled her from Ashyn, making it the way it is not, and trapped her on Roshar, but she somehow Invested herself there. Then he killed Honor, but ended up trapped on Braize.

I think Ashyn is probably what the Rosharians are reffering when they talk about the Tranquiline Halls. Either that, or that was Braize before Odium took over.

We know that Braize is Damnation but I don't know if it would have been the Tranquiline Halls at one point. Doesn't make sense to me, personally.

I wonder how three livable planets fitted into a single star system. since they are all temperate, they must be all three in the same orbit, at lagrangian points to each other. It's certainly no happenstance, so the shards set those planets up there. Who knows why.

A planet could be heated by energy from geochemistry. But then only the oceans would be habitable, so I'm probably wrong.

Edited by Seonookim

Thinking about Shards, we know the people of Ashyn gain powers from illness. This doesn't really seem to fit any of the Shards that we know of in Greater Roshar. Definitely not Honor, possibly Cultivation; it is a sort of twisted healing, but its a stretch. Maybe Odium, but there's no real "hate" involved

There was the incident with the Mist in Mistborn. Those powers manifested through illness. That was preservation. And Preservation is only a step down from Cultivation. Also cultivation wouldn't be selective in what it cultivates, but it does have a positive aspect so turns cultivates the negative (disease and illness) into their exact, positive, opposite.

Also wasn't there something about Cultivation having given up on the humans and left? Does that include the Ashyn humans or just the Rosharans?

We know that Braize is Damnation but I don't know if it would have been the Tranquiline Halls at one point. Doesn't make sense to me, personally.

I dunno, if you think about the lore behind the Tranquiline Halls it actually kind of does make sense.  The humans live in peace in a place called the Tranquiline halls and are suddenly attacked and cast out by an evil army of what they now call voidbringers which are widely credited for being Odium’s minions.  The fact that their lore says they have to now fight to reclaim this land suggest that it is still currently occupied by the evil that took it over, which Braize is currently occupied by Odium.

Combine that with the fact that humans are obviously non-native to the planet Roshar means that had to come physically from somewhere else.

Actually the more i think about it the more likely this seems, it’s also a typical Sanderson move to hide something right under your nose.

Edited by menacekop

• Chaos locked this topic