The Passions related to the Thrill?

I didn't see this posted anywhere, nor on the copper mind so I hope it hasn't already been said.

Rereading the Way of Kings on page 132 of the ebook Yalb says "But I do know the Passions. You win when you need it most, you see"

Shallan dismisses it as superstition but could the Passions be a version of the Thrill, or a collective name for a group of similar anomalies that affect people during different activities/stresses, giving them heightened abilities and emotions, and even just plain luck as Yalb implies.

If this is the case it could also imply the existence of one or more spheres similar to the one Gavilar gave to Szeth, if that sphere is indeed related to the Thrill. Because they all seem to be location based. The Thrill being Alethi (Veden too?) And the Passions being Thaylen.

I don't think the sphere has anything to do with the Unmade at all.  I think it's something different that we don't have enough information on.  We're pretty sure that Moelach and Nergaoul (Thrill, I think) are moving, and unless someone found where Szeth hid the gem, it's not going anywhere.

On the other hand, RShara, we know that the Unmade who cause the Thrill became active at approximately the same time as Gavilar was exploring the Shattered Plains and discovered the Sphere and the Parshendi. So there could very well be a link.

It's certainly a possibility.  And I agree, there is probably a connection. A lot of things began around that time, so it makes you wonder if the timing is significant. 

Back to the topic, the Unmade could be responsible for other things besides the Thrill and the Death Rattles.  We only know of the effects of a few of them, and their actual number has yet to be determined.  I can't image they'd be related to anything as possibly-benign as Luck, though.  The Black Fisher and Sja-anat at least sound extremely nasty.

Edited by RShara

I can't image they'd be related to anything as possibly-benign as Luck, though.  The Black Fisher and Sja-anat at least sound extremely nasty.

Can't disagree with that. Unless the Black Fisher is an incredible African American chess player.

Its possible that Odiums minions have been playing with the minds of Alethi and other peoples of Roshar for millenia. All of the cultures are pretty messed up.

The Passions could be a whole set of Thrill like effects that Team Odium uses to establish a cultural Hate foothold.

• Chaos locked this topic