Why is Sapphire valuable?

Morsk

https://coppermind.net/wiki/Spheres#Value

Sapphire and Amethyst are tied for second-most valuable, after Emerald. Emerald makes food, and Amethyst makes metal. Very useful. But Sapphire makes air, and only if air Soulcasters even exist, which I'm not sure they do.

Lacking any other explanation, I'd guess the air Soulcasters exist and are used widely for sanitation. Strange that we've seen smoke multiple times though, and never air.

Sanitation is a huge concern, especially in the warcamps, so it makes sense that sapphire is valuable. It'd also be good for clearing obstacles and making cliffs into caves/laits, perhaps. In sanitation, which is sometimes indoors, I'd think soulcasting to smoke could be hazardous.

2 hours ago, Patrick Star said:

Due to the unusual ecology of Roshar, there's much less oxygen in the air.  As a result, Sapphire soulcasted into air is a luxury item that can be bottled up and redistributed for profit.

Here is a visual representation of the process

Actually, Roshar is a high oxygen environment.

The showpiece of the system is, of course, the middle planet of Roshar itself. At 0.7 cosmere standard in gravitation and 0.9 in size—and possessing a high-oxygen environment—Roshar is home to a diverse and unique ecology containing dramatic megafauna and fascinating symbiotic relationships between creatures (both humanoid and not) and Splinters of Investiture.

6 hours ago, RShara said:

Actually, Roshar is a high oxygen environment.

Yeah, I knew that, just was too tired to come up with a better joke response.

New reason: they export the canned air to the Horneater peaks, which is why airsick is a Horneater saying.  There are literally thousands of soulcaster fueled air addicts in the peaks.

• Chaos locked this topic