Alloy of Law Chapter 6

Adrienne

Ferring makes a bit sense. The words "Mistborn" and "Feruchemist" both have two main parts, and we call people with one allomantic power by the first part ("Misting" rather than "Borning"). By the same reasoning, people with one feruchemical power are Ferrings rather than Chemlings. And "Chemists" would be confusing in-world, as there would be chemists who aren't magical.

Yeah, exactly. I prefer Ferring. Though really, with the lack of full Mistborn and full Feruchemists, you can say "Feruchemist" if you are opposed to Ferrings.

The problem I have with that is that Mistborn isn't the technical name (Allomancer) where Feruchemist is. If you follow the same pattern it would be something related to Keeper, wouldn't it?

I suspect that "Keeper" might be the name of the copper Ferrings. The reason full Feruchemists were called that before was most likely that because their main purpose was to keep the past knowledge in copperminds.

"Allomancer" I think of not as a technical term, but as a general term; it applies for mistings and mistborns. Because, during the trilogy, all feruchemists had all the powers, no term was needed to distinguish a user of feruchemy from someone possessing all feruchemical powers. It's possible that "Feruchemist" became the overall term (equivalent to allomancer, rather than mistborn) and feruchemists with all powers would now have a different name.

...And there I go disagreeing with the Shard of Flame again.

Don't let the post count scare you, I'm wrong as often as everyone else. (though my screw ups tend to be rather spectacular XD)

I make mistakes like the next man. In fact, being--forgive me--rather cleverer than most men, my mistakes tend to be correspondingly huger.

Don't let the post count scare you, I'm wrong as often as everyone else. (though my screw ups tend to be rather spectacular XD)

But if you're wrong and you're a Shard, you can claim it was all part of a greater plan to bring debate in a certain direction. Or you can blame it on Hoid's interference.

Brandon has definitely gotten better at fight scenes since he wrote the Mistborn trilogy. This fight is fantastic, and I mean that in all its various and clever implications.

Supposedly it's Ferings, but I couldn't find an in-text reference, at least in the version I have. Ahem...

Wut. :unsure:

• Chaos locked this topic