Cognitive realm question

Kerskandra

So I was attempting to quickly explain the stormlight archive plot to a friend, and they asked a question which I was unsure how to answer. 

When a person is transported to the cognitive realm, they have a physical body represented in the cognitive realm. And as they move through this realm they are in the same location they would be in the physical realm. But does the physical body fully move to the cognitive realm? Or is do they reside in both? Could someone in the physical realm, see a person trapped in the cognitive realm as a mindless zombie or a wisp of some sort? 

My understanding is that moving to the cognitive realm means that your body disappears completely: either it enters the cognitive, or it becomes investiture, or something else. We don't really know. There was a discussion about this not too long ago (link below!) You would probably need some sort of power or ability or perpindicularity to actually 'see' between the realms.

That thread of mine is... Very spoilery depending on what you've read... 

It is possible to enter Shadesmar fully, and in that case your physical body would be there and not present in the physical realm. 

More commonly we see what Soulcasters do, where the body is in the physical, and the mind is projected into Shadesmar. In tWoK we see this multiple times where when soulcasting, Jasnah afterwards snaps back from a glazed look in her eyes, or a trance like state. 

• Chaos locked this topic