Wit can be splintered?

Everstorm

Quote from Words of Radiance - 

"I will do what I can to help," Wit said, "and for that reason, I must go. I cannot risk too much, because if he finds me, then I become nothing - a soul shredded and broken into pieces that cannot be reassembled. What I do here is more dangerous than you could ever know."

So it seems Wit/Hoid is capable of being splintered (like Adonalsium, or a Shard). What does that say about him?

I doubt there's anything in the Cosmere that Odium can't grab the Spiritual Aspect of and run through a shredder. Shards just happen to be unkillable through every other means. I assume it means that he wouldn't waste time breaking Hoid's body, since he can heal that. He'd just cut to the chase and rip up his Spiritual to cause a permadeath.

I think that's being meant metaphorically, just to stress how much he's risking by acting to help on Roshar. It just sounds like a more poetic way to describe that, if he gets caught and he (presumably Odium) finds him then it will not only be death, but it will be a particularly nasty death.

I think that's being meant metaphorically, just to stress how much he's risking by acting to help on Roshar. It just sounds like a more poetic way to describe that, if he gets caught and he (presumably Odium) finds him then it will not only be death, but it will be a particularly nasty death.

Not sure I agree Quiver.

We have WoB that nightblood can use stormlight and breath as a power source, but when you run out of either. Your soul becomes the main course.

If an intelligent sword can do that and it isn't even a splinter... then I think that Odium who holds a shard could easily do more.

I doubt there's anything in the Cosmere that Odium can't grab the Spiritual Aspect of and run through a shredder. Shards just happen to be unkillable through every other means. I assume it means that he wouldn't waste time breaking Hoid's body, since he can heal that. He'd just cut to the chase and rip up his Spiritual to cause a permadeath.

That's the impression I got as well. Odium's a nasty fellow who's attention has a lot of nasty repercussions .

Does it necessarily have to be Odium? True, he's running rampant Splintering Shards and all that, but what if Hoid had/has a master that he defected from? What if he has an even bigger enemy than Odium?

Dalinar specifically asks Hoid who 'he' is, and Hoid makes it pretty clear he's referring to Odium:

“If who finds you?”

“The one you fight, Dalinar Kholin. The father of hatred.” Wit saluted, then jogged off.

@Yezdegerd - if you haven't read/listened to Brandon's other works, start there.  

Hoid is a recurring character who seems to be in the right place to influence many protagonists. He seems to be a bit part, but it's adding up. 

Once you've finished the other books (Mistborn series, Elantris, Warbreaker, etc.) come back for the Cosmere discussion. 

I'm confused, Hoid? This is my second trip to these forums and I use audiobooks so I'm curious to What I've missed about wits actual identity.

Yeah, Cosmere discussion is probably one of the biggest multi-book spoilery places in the entire world. Worse than the page that had Dumbledore's death before the book's release.

You will learn everything about the books before you read them here.

But Hoid is the name of the character from Liar of Partinel which is as of yet, unreleased, but before he went by the name Wit or Hoid he was known as

Midius.

I'm confused, Hoid? This is my second trip to these forums and I use audiobooks so I'm curious to What I've missed about wits actual identity.

If you look back in the Way of Kings to the scene where Kaladin talks to Wit about the Wandersail, you will remember that Wit gave his true name as Hoid.

If you don't knew about the cosmere yet, check out the Cosmere 101 thread.

• Chaos locked this topic