The (Unofficial) Soundtracks of the Cosmere!

Dr. Joe

On the way to work today, I heard a song on the radio.  By the end of the first verse, it had sparked a really strong "skaa" vibe in my brain, evoking images of the downtrodden masses (and maybe a hint of the skaa rebellion's spark just starting to heat up...) that really fit with my own vision of the book when I first read it.  

This got me thinking about what the "soundtrack" of Mistborn would sound like, if it were stitched together from existing songs.  What sort of bad-chull tune is playing when Kelsier strolls out of the Mist to eradicate an entire manor house of nobility at the end of the first prologue?  What melancholy piece might give us a glimpse into Sazed's heartbreaking crisis of faith after the Siege of Luthadel?

I'd love to put together soundtracks (of indeterminate length) that could re-tell Brandon's stories.  Obviously this is an extremely subjective undertaking, but I'd bet there are at least a few songs out there that would resonate with the majority of the 17S community.  If nothing else, it might be a fun group project/game, no? :)

The only "rule" that I came up with is "no songs from actual musicals".  It just feels too much like cheating to me, but who knows, maybe I'd change my mind if presented with a really good example.

(Similarly, non-lyrical pieces strike me as a bit too abstract and open to individual interpretation for this sort of thing.  But again, I could absolutely be proven wrong!)

What say you, 17S folk?  What do the soundtracks of the Cosmere sound like?

Edit: I didn't realize the forums had thematically appropriate swear filters.  Laughing so much over "bad-chull" :D

Edited by Dr. Joe

• Chaos locked this topic