Foreshadowing Shallan, Kaladin

pancake

Having finished WoR, I decided on a reread of TWoK. During my reread, I noticed this sentence from Tozbek to Shallan (Chapter 3):

"'It must be your beautiful face that brought us this favorable wind! The windspren themselves were entranced by you, Brightness Shallan, and led us here!'"

Considering Kaladin's affinity for wind/windspren (evidenced further in WoR), is this somehow a hint/foreshadowing at what to expect from their future interactions/relationship? Adolin had grown on me during WoR, just wanted to get other people's opinions and if anyone else noticed other subtleties like this one.

WoR Spoilers

Well, Shallan did seem pretty stricken with Kaladin's intensity when they were stuck in the chasms together, and later on Kaladin even describes Shallan as gorgeous (929). I think they'll end up together. It would be a total turn around for Kaladin's hatred of lighteyes and kind of a twist, since honor spren and Cryptics supposedly don't like each other. I'm totally shipping it.

Edited by WeiryWriter
please use spoiler tags

Do you mean specifically from TWoK?

If not:

Kaladin and Shallan both ride the same wagon to the Shattered Plains (both obviously journey with Tvlakv):

Kaladin sat with his back to the corner of the cage, looking down. The floor planks in front of him were splintered, as if someone had dug at them with nothing but his fingernails. The splintered section was stained dark where the dry grey wood had soaked up blood. A futile, delusional attempt at escape.

Shallan frowned, sitting back against the bars on the side of the wagon. Beside her, a long line of scratches on the floor looked like they’d been made by fingernails. As if one of the slaves had tried, in a fit of madness, to claw his way to freedom.

I've wondered the same thing.

WoR Spoilers

Personally, I hope not. I was heartbroken when Syl died. And I realized that I'd hoped that Syl would incarnate (through some magic) and that she and Kaladin would become an item.

I know it's impossible based on what we currently know, but I guess I'm romantic that way.

Edited by Windrunner
Please tag your spoilers!

I've wondered the same thing.

Personally, I hope not. I was heartbroken when Syl died. And I realized that I'd hoped that Syl would incarnate (through some magic) and that she and Kaladin would become an item.

I know it's impossible based on what we currently know, but I guess I'm romantic that way.

This is exactly what I want, too!

Edited: Removed unnecessary script.

Edited by Windrunner

• Chaos locked this topic