Shardhammer effects

farmboy777

Just wondering what effect this type of weapon would have compared to a sword/spear. With a Shardblade you can cut through all inanimate objects and through the souls of living objects. But what happens when the Radiant's spren takes the form of a blunt weapon. Would it still pass easily through objects and only affect the souls of living beings or would the intention of using the weapon as a blunt force object change how it works and allow you to knock living people away without otherwise causing any long lasting spiritual damage?

If we say it does change how it works does that mean the Radiant could change fundamentally how a Shardblade works, as in cutting living flesh if intended by the user. Or is the act of cutting the soul linked to the edges that shard weapons usually (but may not) possess.

What do you guys think?

EDIT: just reread the final fight which answers a lot of these questions, but still immediately afterwards Kal seems to use Syl as a regular knife damaging flesh. Question still stands, is soul slicing linked to Intention or a property of the "shard edge"?

Edited by farmboy777

Interesting question. What happens if you get hit with the flat of a Shardblade? I assume the hammer would be the same.

The edge of the blade is obviously the dangerous part, as it's the only protected part of the blade when training. Curious to see how people interpret this.

Interesting question. What happens if you get hit with the flat of a Shardblade? I assume the hammer would be the same.

We see Kaladin hit blades on their flat with his spear and Dalinar catching them, so its safe to assume that only the actual edge or spearpoint is dangerous. That most likely comes from the cognitive. We thing it cut so it cuts, kinda deal.

I think a Shardhammer will smash rather than cut, but that doesn't make it any less deadly. 

I'm reminded of how Dalinar wondered why there weren't any Shardtools in WoK and how much easier labor like digging would be with them. Little did he know the ancients actually had Shardtools, That gives a whole new level of understanding how the KR used to help humanity rebuild after Desolations.

• Chaos locked this topic