Stormfather and Honorblades Question (Spoilers)

tipbruley

First, I have been assuming that Dalinar held an Honorblade (Taln's) during his fight with Szeth and when he becomes a radiant facing the Stormfather. I say this because Dalinar tells Amaram that he had bonded Taln's blade before he summons it (which I assume is an Honorblade). Also because Szeth looks at Dalinar's blade during the fight on the plane and smiles (because he now assumes that the Honorblade is what gave Kaladin his powers, not Kaladin being a radiant).

That being said, I was unsure why the Stormfather called the Honorblad a monstrosity.

AND YOU WILL HAVE TO DIVEST YOURSELF OF THAT . . . MONSTROSITY THAT YOU CARRY

I was under the assumption that regular shardblades were dead spren, but Honor blades were created by Honor and weren't actually bonded spren. In fact I think somewhere (i couldn't find the quote), it is mentioned that spren decided to bond with humans only after the honor blades were lost, so the Honorblades couldn't be dead spren.

So the question here is why is an Honor blade considered a monstrosity by the Stormfather, and why did Dalinar hear screaming from it when he summoned it?

-Trey

So the question here is why is an Honor blade considered a monstrosity by the Stormfather, and why did Dalinar hear screaming from it when he summoned it?

Because it's not an Honorblade. Only dead spren scream. The description of the Blade Dalinar had is different than the one Taln had in The Way of Kings. The Honorblade was either taken by Wit, or swapped, or Taln was swapped, or something else. I don't even know if we saw Taln at the end of TWOK or not anymore, since having his Honorblade out should probably have turned his eyes a light tan, but they were a dark brown.

Here's the descriptions:

To his side, he carried a massive Shardblade, point down, sticking about a finger’s width into the stone, his hand on the hilt. The Blade reflected torchlight; it was long, narrow, and straight, shaped like an enormous spike. “Welcome, lost one,” Wit whispered.

White mist coalesced in Dalinar’s fingers, and a Shardblade appeared, tip to Amaram’s throat. Wider than most, it was almost cleaverlike in appearance.

Edited by Moogle

Very interesting about Dalinar NOT having an honorblade!

I think I mainly thought Dalinar had an honor blade from Szeth's reaction to it (he smiled when he saw Dalinar's blade because he assumes that Kaladin got his powers through an honorblade.

The assassin spared a glance for Dalinar’s weapon, then smiled, lips drawn thin, showing only a hint of teeth.

This means that either

1) Szeth can't recognize Honorblades by sight and assumed it was one

2) Szeth's mental state allowed him to see what he wanted to see (probably the most likely answer)o

3) It actually is an honorblade but there is something more to the whole screaming that we don't understand.

This means that either

1) Szeth can't recognize Honorblades by sight and assumed it was one

2) Szeth's mental state allowed him to see what he wanted to see (probably the most likely answer)o

3) It actually is an honorblade but there is something more to the whole screaming that we don't understand.

Or the reason Szeth smiled has nothing to do with Honorblades:

The assassin spared a glance for Dalinar’s weapon, then smiled, lips drawn thin, showing only a hint of teeth. That eager smile matched with haunted eyes was one of the most evil things Dalinar had ever seen.

“Thank you,” the assassin said, “for extending my agony by not dying easily.” He stepped back and burst afire with white light.

Seems like a much more natural reading is that this is an ironic smile/grimace blaming Dalinar for making more people die by not giving up quickly. We've seen the progression of Szeth blaming himself for killing his victims to blaming his victims for being too weak to kill him throughout TWoK.

• Chaos locked this topic