Devaan's Training ground

Nohadon

"Help" He heard Max mutter

oh. no. no no no no no.

Devaan ran up to Max

"Max! there you are! I need you on the farm for now. you need to water the chulls alright buddy?"

poor thing.

Devaan whispered to Max

"If you ever need me to get you out of a situation like this. Start randomly coughing. It's ok though. They won't hurt you. Trust me on this"

Edited by Nohadon

6 minutes ago, BitBitio said:

Jonas is wearing gloves. He does not have visible spikes.

Ah ok, then.

Max nodded, summoning the strength to walk away. Mara ran beside him.

“Max! What’s up? Why do you look like you’ve seen a ghost?”

“What if I have?”

Mara seemed to understand. “The newcomers?”

Max nodded. “One of them. Lifeless, I think. Don’t worry, they’re not harmful.”

Mara nodded reluctantly. “Ok, I’ll see you later then?” She went off to collect the pots she’d dropped.

This is following my character's introduction in the SYP thread. I won't be on for another twelve hours, though.

Alum watched from outside the building, seeing activity inside. The training compound was part of a larger building, one that sat in the middle of the crater, somehow completely unharmed. He noted strange shapes on the sides of the walls. Some sort of Selish magic? He needed to read up on that place. Alum began to climb the small hill that led up to the front door.

He had theorized that the places still standing were the most protected, and therefore the most important. Ramshackle huts and buildings had sprung up all along the edge of the crater, but two locations formed an island within them. The massive spike had intimidated him, and he thought it better to get his bearings first. Alum stopped just outside, hand poised to knock.

"Spikes," Pyrus said. "Prejudice is."

"Right." He pulled out some cloth from his bag and wrapped it around both sleeves, covering both spikes. No point raising any alarms. "I don't want to change my spikes here, so let's hope I'm not going to get mugged. We're going with Alethi worldhopper?"

"Yes. Alum."

He was no Lightweaver, no good at acting a part. But he - Alum, now - could carry off a pseudonym passably. He felt for his chalk, several colors lining the slots of his pocket, and his two Scadrian pistols. Then he pushed open the door.

Mara saw a man push open the door and enter the Canton. She was tired. Another thing had happened to Max. Though he was a good fighter, she still hated the idea of someone finding out and using his weakness against him.

“Welcome,” she said to the new arrival, setting down the pots she’d brought on a kitchen bench top. “Unconventional way to enter, through the door.” She noted. “We usually get newcomers from the gate.”

She sat down on a worn chair. “How can I help you?”

Good call covering up the spikes, though it’s not like the whole training ground hates them. Only Max and Mara, and unlike Max, Mara isn’t going to freeze when she sees spikes. Quite the contrary, she might just try and kill you.

Edited by I think I am here.

“There’s a gate?” Alum glared at Pyrus, who was usually onto this sort of thing, and extended a hand. For a second he forgot what name he was using, but he caught up.

“I’m Alum, from Alethkar. A scholar of sorts. Arrived this morning. What exactly is this place?”

Okay, now I actually am going to sleep. And don’t worry about explaining the ‘verse completely, it’s just what Alum would ask.

1 hour ago, Cyanic said:

@Nohadon are the training grounds inside the Canton of Combat?

Read the OP. The training grounds double as Devaan's old safehouse. It's at the second highest peak of the Seran mountain range on scadrial. I won't be on a for a little while. Feel free to use my characters so long as you don't do anything stupid. 

A Thunderhawk gunship roared over the peaks, soaring over the training ground. It pulled sharply around, coming to a hard stop and touching down outside the front gates.

Surrounded by the loud hiss of the cooling engines, the front ramp unceremoniously detached, hitting the ground with a dusty thud. A space marine, armored in the black and white of the Raptors chapter, walked down towards the gates. He stopped just outside the open door, noticing Mara and Alum.

"Hey," Sergeant Kerith said, nodding to Mara. "Is Devaan here?"

His hand is just outstretching when he hears the rattle and roar of something outside. It's still hanging there when the gates are opened, and a man in full Shardplate walks in. Behind him, a large metal creature has touched down. It alone makes his pulse stop, and he begins describing them in his copperminds, annotating the names. It's like a ship from Southern Scadrial, but made of metal.

The man in Plate nods at them, apparently unfazed by his appearance, and greets someone. Probably a Feruchemist, judging from the features.

"A Plate is not. It is... wrong."

It was shaped differently, to be sure. So they had some form of Shardbearer, and a Feruchemist. And they didn't seem bothered by newcomers, so it was probably a place used to worldhoppers too. But it wasn't part of any of his records, despite being seemingly well populated. And that ship...

"I'm sorry," Alum says. "What in Almighty's tenth name is going on here?"

"A... delivery," Kerith said, glancing at Alum before turning back to Devaan. "I need a favor. Captain Samariam Orren was recently interred in a Dreadnought, and he's having trouble adjusting. I thought that bringing him here to train with your students might freshen his mind. Can he stay for a while?"

Alum hears her mention of Hemalurgy and mentally thanks Pyrus for the idea of covering his spikes. He turns back to the young woman in the chair - he still doesn't know her name.

"What planet is this?" he asks. "Yolen, maybe?" He's simultaneously adding information to his copperminds, storing a description of the strange ship and Plate, as well as descriptions of the people around him. He needed some more minds - he was close to running out of space.

Edited by MetaTerminal

20 minutes ago, I think I am here. said:

“As long as he isn’t spiked.” Mara mumbled, though nobody heard her. The spaceship was interesting, though. She hadn’t seen anything like it.

Kerith glanced over at Mara, seeming to look more closely at her this time.

"Mara, isn't it?" he asked. "Devaan's mentioned you. How's your brother?"

The newcomer - space marines,  she’d been told - addressed her, asking her about Max. She stood.

“He’s fine,” she lied. “Just watering the Chulls.”

She turned to Alum, the Alethi worldhopper. He seemed a bit too dark for an Alethi, but then again, Mara hadn’t seen one in a while so she wrote it off.

“Not Yolen, whatever that is,” she said to Alum. “We’re in the Alleyverse.”

Sensing the increased confusion in the man’s eyes, Mara just smiled and nodded, sitting back down.

“Here you go,” Max said, watering the last Chull, zinc burning in his stomach. But instead of using the Allomantic power that came from it, Max stored the Allomancy in his Nicrosilminds, for future use.

It was common these days, Max almost always burned zinc, if not to use then to store it, so that when the time came, not only would he be able to power Allomancy directly with his Feruchemy, but he’d also be able to supertap his metalmind, emit as burst of Rioting like no other.

Master Sheonar had compared it to Duralumin Allomancy.

Entering the room where all of the commotion was, he saw Mara eye him carefully in a chair, and also noticed two new people, one apparently regular man - though no one was regular in the Alleyverse, and another with Space Marine armour.

“Hey,” He said, rioting the newcomers’ trust of him, still storing most of the output so what was left was a very subtle manipulation of emotions. Master Sheonar had taught him well.

“What can we do for you?”

"Alleyverse?" Alum thought of the straight, crisscrossing alleys of the city, and wondered how the design of a single population center could influence the name of an entire universe. Best guess was this was a sort of Silverlight for this realm. What had he gotten himself into?

He noticed a man enter the room, one with similar features to the woman on the chair. Mara, her name was. A cousin or brother, probably. There was something strangely disarming about him, something that made him want to trust the man. He smiled at him.

"I've just arrived. I'm a scholar, from Roshar. Name's Alum. I'm new to the Alleyverse. Is this some sort of worldhopper city?"

Going to be gone for the next 12-15 hours, I'm going to paris for a week and planes don't have wifi. Feel free to godmod Devaan while I'm away/

"I'll train the captain" Devaan said

"A bronze compounder? That's powerful indeed, get to the weapons rack and start picknig a weapon"

Max regarded the first man, Alum.

“I guess you could say that,” he replied, stepping forward. “Though it’s more of a planet than a city.”

He pointed to a wall, which had a very large map of the Alleyverse sticky-taped to it, finished with a customary ‘you are here’ pin that Mara had added.

“Any place you’re particularly interested in?”

Mara was bored, though she recognised Max’s manipulation. You didn’t get a Rioter for a brother without being able to know when he’s tricking.

Idle, Mara burned some steel and saved the power in her Nicrosilminds for later. She didn’t do it nearly as much as Max did, but still, with it she could push on things heavier than her, and that was always a welcome advantage.

E99D724A-DE19-4F50-B4CA-E0A7B26538C1.jpeg