Devaan's Training ground

Nohadon

On 24/08/2018 at 6:42 PM, Silva said:

”At least wait for Devaan to return.  I’m not about to just leave this picture here without any explanation - it may give the wrong impression,” Mejin said.

Devaan wandered into the house again. The sun was beginning to set below the seran mountains after a day of training. Max, Mara and Silphio had gone off somewhere, so Devaan focused on training the newcomers, the Dreanought was eventually patched up, and Devaan ran through some basic pole arm, staff and short sword techniques with his pupils.

"Hey Mejin, I'm getting a big sparring session together, care to join in? I know fighting isn't your forte, but I think you'll enjoy it" Devaan sat down next to her, absentmindedly shuffling his deck of cards.

Just now, Spacefaring Ferring said:

@Cyanic

Zaphoid was shaking from the effort when the creature he was helping asked him to continue the fight. 

- Sorry, but I have business to take care of. Maybe an other time? If you give me your address, I'll send you a letter. All right? 

"Understood. What little we fought was good. No address though, no home." Deras nodded and let the man leave.

-

The rest of the time was spent with the grounds master's training. The Lifeless wasn't too quick a learner, but he picked up the basics and a few more things as they trained. As the sun started to set, Deras approached the grounds master, he caught that his name was Devaan.

"Groundsmaster," Deras begun, "thank you for training, but I desire proper fight. May spar?" He asked as he gestured to himself and Devaan. He was eager to learn more, if he could become martially adept, he could actually dodge blows instead of taking them head on, those syringes were running out, and he was unsure where he'd get more. He had 4 left, but wanted to save the final one to be analyzed later somewhere, maybe he could get more.

Edited by Warpspren

They hadn’t gotten far before Devaan showed up.

”I was planning on heading out once I introduced Pry,” Mejin said indicating to the teenage girl swinging around her dueling cane. “Fighting’s more up her alley.”

Pry turned at her name. Must be that fellow Mejin was talking about. She thought.

School starts tomorrow, my time on Shard will decrease a bit but I’ll still be around.

Edited by Silva

"Ok. Let me finish up this sparring and I'll train with Pry" Devaan told Mejin

"Deras, isn't it?" He said to the lifeless

"I'll spar with you"

Devaan walked over to the weapon rack and picked up a blunted hatchet. Setting Atius down next to the weapon rack.

Devaan watched Deras fall into a basic stance, it looked like he was unsure of it.

"Using a hatchet against an unarmed person isn't exactly fair, so we'll use hand-to-hand for now"

Devaan ran at him, aiming a sweeping kick at Deras's ankles

Deras did not see the kick coming, and was hit by the sweep kick and fell to the ground. As he fell, he used both his hands to leverage the ground and propel himself backward with his strength in case of further attacks on the ground. He slid a small ways and stood back up, before quickly rushing at Devaan, body low to the ground, intending to tackle the other man.

Devaan quickly sidestepped the tackle and delivered a quick punch to the back of the head. It didn't do much damage, considering Deras was tough and strong, and Devaan hadn't activated any Aons or started tapping any metals.

"You went too low with that tackle. When you tackle, aim wider, not lower. Your strength is enough without the added leverage" Devaan told Deras

Deras stumbled as he was struck in the back of the head, it didn't hurt of course, but still. He collected himself and faced Devaan again. "Understood." He acknowledged the groundsmaster's advice and readied himself again. He stepped into range, remembering the training from earlier. He threw two quick jabs to prod his opponent's defenses, then stepped to the side, not waiting for a counter attack.

5 hours ago, Mudkipspren said:

I feel like Kane is one of the few who could beat Devaan in a fair fight. 

Actually yeah, that would be a even fight. Assuming you weren't fighting him in the canton or his house. 

Devaan blocked the two punches with his forearms. Storms, that hurt. Devaan tapped a little determination to ease the pain. His opponent quickly stepped to the side and resumed his guard. Good. Deras learn't quick. Devaan ran towards Deras.

"Your stance is too wide" Devaan told him, tapping speed and drawing in stormlight, sliding between Deras' legs frictionless and trying to elbow him in the back.

Devaan slid under the Lifeless' wide stance which made Deras turn, trying to adjust his stance, only to be hit in the diaphragm by his opponent's elbow. The hit threw all the remaining wind out of him in a sort of puff sound, but Deras held and didn't topple. At the groundsmaster's advice, he tightened his stance so his opponent couldn't pull the same move.

He was getting good at technicals, but the fact that this was a spar made him not want to use his strength even though he was sure the groundsmaster could take it. "May I use more strength?" At least this way, he was asking permission first.

Edited by Warpspren

I don't know exactly how strong Deras is so if I'm underestimating here, let me know

The feint was good. Very good, the punch connected. Devaan's instincts kicked in and he braced himself for the punch when he felt the rush of wind, tapping a little bit of pewter and Iron to brace lessen the damage a little more, the result of that was Devaan didn't even stumble when he took the punch. His Jaw hurt a little, but could be ignored. Devaan quickly grabbed Deras' wrist and stepped one foot forward, spinning and throwing Deras into the ground over his his, then driving his knee into Deras' stomach, storing pewter and iron to stop any internal damage.

that seems right, since he has the Aonic tattoos as well as tapping both iron and pewter. I estimate Deras would be about as strong as a Kolossal since he has two parshendi strength spikes, and two human strength spikes, and parshendi are physically stronger than regular humans, so about Kolossal strength seems right.

Deras was now pinned under Devaan's knee and on the ground. While he was taught close combat, they weren't taught any ground game, only being taught to avoid the fight being taken to the ground as much as possible. Usually tapping out was only for when the pain was too much after being grappled and in a losing position. Deras didn't feel pain, but he recognized when he was out of options, like he was now. With that, he tapped the groundsmaster twice, signalling his defeat.

Devaan got up, dusting himself off.

"Did I go too hard? You learn quick and are good at improvising mid fight. You'll learn grappling and dust-fights tomorrow. I gotta say, you're strong. Very strong and have good fighting instincts."

Devaan looked over the seran range, reminiscing

"I feel like I've seen you before. A long time ago. Where you there? During the war?" Devaan felt a faint iching where his foot used to be

Deras got up as well. He nodded at the compliment. "Thank you." He said with his usual monotone voice. His next question though made Deras hesitate, not because he had anything to hide, but because he didn't know how to answer. How old was the man, really? "I..."  he begun, "not there, in war, specifically... but was around, nearby. Had to help people from village near city."

He really was unsure how to talk about his situation, and above that, did he want to go back 16 years in the past? He didn't have a home, and he might have as much luck finding about his own past now as he did before, so there really was no reason to.

"Oh that explains it. I think I saw you fighting a monster towards the end of it."

Devaan picked Atius back up from where he set it down and sheathed it.

"How long have you been a lifeless?" Devaan asked, he was curious now. An inhumanly strong lifeless is very interesting.

Deras recounted, from his perspective, he was 'born' the other day, helped a village the next, and then came to the training grounds just that day, but from everyone else's he might've been around for a longer time, and no one would question why he didn't age since he was a Lifeless. "A... few days," he responded. "Not sure how explain. Complicated."

"Oh. Stasis huh? Well. Considering how good you were being only a few days old. If you train for a couple hundred years like I have I think you'd give me a run for my money!"  Devaan said jokingly.

Several figures emerged at the gates

"Devaan Sheonar!" One of them called out to the training ground in a confident female voice

"You have failed to Pay us for protection services! The panther's will show you what happens if you don't help the predator!" 

"You become the prey!"

The eight figures ran towards the training grounds, guns, spears and swords extended.

He smiled with a nod at the joke, though Deras wasn't sure what Devaan meant by stasis.

Out of nowhere, multiple figures showed up and called Devaan out, the rushed forward, seeming ready to attack. Deras' eyes widened and he stepped back, reaching to his side and summoning the strange sword which appeared from mist five heartbeats later. "Enemies?" Deras asked Devaan, then took a stance. He held the sword with one hand and rested it, blunt-side on his shoulder, with his other arm up, fist ready.

Edited by Warpspren

The Thunderhawk gunship, still idling out in front of the training grounds, suddenly roared into life as it staggered into the air. It turned towards the newcomers, blasting them with a wave of air.

The nose-mounted heavy bolters swung towards the Panthers and fired, blowing a few of them into bloody chunks and spraying the ground around the rest. Shells whizzed around Devaan and Deras, barely missing.

3 of the panthers lay on the ground nursing shrapnel wounds. Another three ran towards Devaan, one landed a punch on Devaan that connected with his Aonic skin, and sent him flying across the training ground

"These guys are strong! Be careful Deras!" Devaan drew Atius and started fighting three of the attackers at the same time, dodging and weaving between their attacks and slowly getting cuts in. One of the Panther's ran towards Deras, wielding a greatsword in one hand. He swung at Deras, down towards the lifeless's head.