Greetings, as far as I know I exist

Quantus

Greetings, I exist!  I'd made an account here years ago when I first came across the Cosmere (mistborn era 1 was my entry) but was just an occasional lurker until the lead-up to Oathbreaker last year.  Started spending a lot of time on the Cosmere Reddit, which brought me back here. Also, admittedly, I used to spend a lot more time over on the JimButcher forums but that community is starting to loose steam and disperse quite a bit, so the Cosmere is a fantastic substitute for my old Word Of Jim based ramblings. I find myself just browsing the WoB Arcanum with idle theories. 

Let see... First introduced to Brandon with the end of Wheel of Time.  I thought the ones he did were arguably the best crafted of the whole series. Started on his own novels with Mistborn  then I think it was Warbreaker and Elantris before Stormlight. Loved me some Reckoners. At this point Ive read all the (published) Cosmere novels, Im finishing up the short stories and White Sands.

Ive never had the opportunity to meet Brandon in person (I dont go to Cons these days).  Managed to snag an autographed copy of Steelheart he'd hidden in a bookstore in the Atlanta Airport, and last year he replied with an RAFO on my reddit theory on Shardic Intents, which was awesome though I still dont know if that actually indicates that I am on the right track (If in a Q&A that would just mean it was a topic he wasnt planning to explain yet, but whats it mean when he comes by to say he wont say?).

What else?  Im an engineer by trade, which tends to color my thinking in all kinds of odd ways.  These days I feel older than I technically am, and Im given to understand that will only get worse as Life Goes On. 

11 minutes ago, The Harlem Worldhoppers said:

I belatedly welcome you to the Shard @Quantus :) 

Nice theory you have there on Shardic Intents btw.

Quick question: What are your 3 favourite Cosmere moments so far ?

Top Three?  Oof.  Ummm, off-hand Id say Sazed's ascension and discovery of the secret use of his collection of Religions, Lightsong's whole relationship with his High-priest (can that count as a moment?), and the UNITY fight. 

8 minutes ago, Quantus said:

Top Three?  Oof.  Ummm, off-hand Id say Sazed's ascension and discovery of the secret use of his collection of Religions, Lightsong's whole relationship with his High-priest (can that count as a moment?), and the UNITY fight. 

You have good taste. Llarimar and Lightsong's interactions were hilarious, Sazed's ascension and basically the climax of HoA as a whole was fantastic and the Unity scene in OB almost made me tear up.

Top 3 fight scenes for me would be Kaladin in the arena, Kelsier vs the Inquisitor in the courtyard and Vin vs Cett's men featuring one belt buckle.

Top 3 character interactions would be Lightsong and Llarimar, Kelsier and Hoid, Hoid and Shallan in Kholinar

1 hour ago, BitBitio the Mudkip said:

Welcome, Quantus! Have an upvote, and what is your favorite Cosmere world?

Hard to say right now: Sel is the most fascinating world (as opposed to story) from a mystery standpoint; I want to see it's CogRealm hellscape and as many of the other Dor magics as possible.  But really it's between Scadrial (Era 2) and Stormlight, but I generally consider them wildly different genre's so it's hard to choose.  I love Scadrial era2 for the steampunky pulp feel to it and the generally lighter feel (plus: Wayne), while Roshar is home to the DBZ/FF7 lovechild I never realized I was missing from my life. 

Welcome back!  I'm pleased to see another long-time lurker become more active, and am resisting the urge to necro your original introduction.  I also noticed some ennui the last time I lurked on the Jim Butcher forums---back before their move to the new site.

Who's your favorite cosmere character at the moment?  What sort of engineering do you do?

Favorite character comes is another one that where I have several of different flavors. Ill set aside aside Hoid, because Im curious about him like Im curious about Adonalsium (it has as much to do with knowing the rest of the Cosmere's big picture as knowing about him personally). I would have said Wayne easily but honestly Seth's POV in Oathbreaker is really intriguing too, I want to see more of him.

But still..Wayne. I gotta love an chull-kicking semi-pascifist that's a millionaire but may or may not have a live (or dead) rat in his pocket at any given moment, and who believes the world can be made better by everyone learning to share mixed drinks, and made a good show proving it too.  He was tons of fun in Allow of Law, but Im loving the hidden depths we've seen since.

Mechanical engineer by schooling, but I've been doing Industrial Control Systems for the last ten years or so.  Work for a firm that designs large scale factories, paper mills, heavy chemical stuff like that.  I do all the sensors, control devices, and computer interface bits that make it operate.  And yes, Im quite interested in Urithiru, for obvious reasons.

On 6/30/2018 at 3:54 PM, Quantus said:

Mechanical engineer by schooling, but I've been doing Industrial Control Systems for the last ten years or so.  Work for a firm that designs large scale factories, paper mills, heavy chemical stuff like that.  I do all the sensors, control devices, and computer interface bits that make it operate.  And yes, Im quite interested in Urithiru, for obvious reasons.

Good stuff.  It'd be nice to have someone with that sort of background as a beta reader for future Stormlight Archive books, to help make sure Urithiru isn't too crazy once it wakes up.

17 hours ago, daschaich said:

Good stuff.  It'd be nice to have someone with that sort of background as a beta reader for future Stormlight Archive books, to help make sure Urithiru isn't too crazy once it wakes up.

Whatever is needed I am at your service!