[Theory] Jasnah is homosexual

Numb

One person I discussed this with thinks Jasnah might be a sociopath and is incapable of certain emotions like empathy and selfless love. She allows logic and honor to guide her choices rather than the whims of emotion that others suffer from. An interesting option that I haven't seen discussed much, but the way she was described as a child seems to fit. Aloof, emotionally unattached, superior. Some of her behavior toward Shallan argues against sociopathy, but there are many ways to see kindness and not all are based on empathy. With her incredible intellect she could have developed some very advanced coping mechanisms.

I don't really see Jasnah as being sociopathic (Shallan is a much better candidate if you're looking for sociopathic behavior). Jasnah's attitude towards Taravangian, Dalinar, Gavilar and Shallan all seem to demonstrate a good deal of empathy. It's also difficult to suggest that she doesn't understand altruism when she's basically trying to save the world despite constant ridicule and skepticism (without any particular benefit to herself). She's actually a really good portrayal of a very passionate individual who is nonetheless analytical with good self-control; in a lot of ways she's like Mr. T if he was able to be far on both sides of his spectrum at once.

I also don't think Jasnah acts particularly superior (if anything, she's surprisingly humble). Liss comments on this during the WoR prelude. Given that she is, in fact, usually the smartest person in the room, her attitude is actually quite modest. I'm not sure there's a single instance where she acts in an arrogant or condescending manner. Shallan contrasts her behavior multiple times with her tutors, and against her preconception of what a brilliant scholar must be like.

Jasnah's emotions always seem very genuine. We never see her pretend an emotion or assume a reaction that she doesn't seem to believe in. Given her reputation and the amount of intrigue she's involved in, Jasnah seems surprisingly forthright. In Jasnah's PoV we see that her internal perspective is pretty much spot-on to what she presents to the world; she might be individual with the highest integrity we've seen so far.

Obviously she must be 'broken' in some way, and it's quite likely based on her responses that she's had bad experiences with certain types of men in the past. But I don't see that she's 'coping' with those issues in the sense that she's not confronting them; indeed, it's exactly the opposite - she's almost too honest, with herself and with everyone else. Compare again with Shallan.

Her discussion about Taravangian is I think the best passage on this topic:

“You don’t find him dull, then?” Shallan asked, curious. She herself didn’t think the king dull or a fool, but she’d thought someone as intelligent and learned as Jasnah might not have patience for a man like him.

“Taravangian is a wonderful man,” Jasnah said, “and worth a hundred self-proclaimed experts on courtly ways. He reminds me of my uncle Dalinar. Earnest, sincere, concerned.”

“The lighteyes here say he’s weak,” Shallan said. “Because he panders to so many other monarchs, because he fears war, because he doesn’t have a Shardblade.”

Jasnah didn’t reply, though she looked disturbed.

“Brightness?” Shallan prodded, walking to her own seat and arranging her charcoals.

“In ancient days,” Jasnah said, “a man who brought peace to his kingdom was considered to be of great worth. Now that same man would be derided as a coward.” She shook her head. “It has been centuries coming, this change. It should terrify us. We could do with more men like Taravangian, and I shall require you to never call him dull again, not even in passing.”

Jasnah is not emotionless, not lacking in empathy nor incapable of understanding altruism. She's just incredibly intelligent, and sufficiently busy with trying to save the world that she might come off as sometimes brusque. As for Navani, it's pretty clear that she's incredibly smothering and overbearing (not to mention intrusive); it's hard to fault Jasnah for finding Navani annoying.

One person I discussed this with thinks Jasnah might be a sociopath and is incapable of certain emotions like empathy and selfless love. She allows logic and honor to guide her choices rather than the whims of emotion that others suffer from. An interesting option that I haven't seen discussed much, but the way she was described as a child seems to fit. Aloof, emotionally unattached, superior. Some of her behavior toward Shallan argues against sociopathy, but there are many ways to see kindness and not all are based on empathy. With her incredible intellect she could have developed some very advanced coping mechanisms.

That's actually not how Jasnah's described as a child. Navani even makes a point of contrasting Jasnah's adolescent aloof maturity to her childhood openness. I don't remember the exact quote and don't have my book on me to verify it, but I remember noting it when I read it, and wondering if the change Navani had noted might have come about partly due to whatever unfortunate experience Jasnah might have had.

Jasnah is poised, but I agree with Seloun that when she does show emotions, those emotions are sincere. We are given the impression that she conceals what she feels, rather than her normal demeanor being true, and the demonstrations of kindess and other emotions being false. Being controlled =/= sociopathy.

Her attitude towards her brother's wife is pretty cold, but I'd argue that that's more because of her brother's wife's personality and possibly some history we don't know about than anything else.

I didn't interpret it that way at all, I think she was just alluding to the fact that marriage for her and for someone who was meant to be like Jasnah (Shallan) would limit her pursuits. When you think about it, Jasnah spends all her time travelling etc. which wouldn't allign with the commitments required to be in a relationship imo, not being married just gives her much more freedom to do what she likes. As someone earlier has said, she'll probably meet someone later on once she'd accomplished her goals

As far as I'm concerned, there is no evidence for or against Jasnah being homosexual. However, there is evidence suggesting prior assault. Specifically, her comment after killing the street gang about "men like those" with an uncharacteristic edge; I rather suspect Dalinar burned out the eyes of some other "men like those" for what they did to Jasnah. She also apparently had some sort of falling-out with Amaram, but given how he's maintained an ironclad reputation it was probably over an unrelated matter.

But I don't think that's necessarily why she's opposed to marriage, since she seems to get along fine with her family and Taravangian. She's pretty independent-minded and wouldn't like being required to be subordinate to anyone, particularly to the extent required by Vorin marriage.

Warning, triggers

So a friend floated a theory to me that Jasnah equates rape to seduction in the following passage that Shallon recalls

Pg 228 WoR

Using a fetching face to make men do as you wish is no different from a man using muscle to force a woman to his will, she'd said. Both are base and both will fail a person as they age

A quick google search found me no discussion on this and I think it pertains heavily hear. My first listen I simply took this to mean that seduction was the same as a man using strength to gain power, that it had no sexual connotations. When he pointed it out the word woman jumped out at me. This doesn't seem to mean fighting for power nor showing off a ripped body, but actually physically dominating a woman, whether for sex or just in a normal abusive way, like the abusive father who beats his wife to make her stay in the kitchen. 

I originally thought this meant she herself was sexually abused, but I'm beginning to back down from that. She just seems, well, too put together for that. While plenty of rape and child abuse survivors are well put together, I feel like if she were that damaged it would make sense to show it more. Instead I'm more leaning towards the idea that she witnessed a man abusing a woman, probably her father beating her mother, maybe when he finds out she loved Dalinar. It would still cause her to be withdrawn and distrustful of men, however it wouldn't be such a huge betrayal that she wouldn't love and want to protect her father.

wasn't a certain character in Alloy of Law Sanderson's first character with same sex attraction?  If true, that would indicate that Jasnah wasn't created with that in mind (though nothing would stop Sanderson from adding it to Jasnah's personality later on).

I believe that a member of Bridge Four was also homosexual, but I don't remember which one specifically.

Warning, triggers

So a friend floated a theory to me that Jasnah equates rape to seduction in the following passage that Shallon recalls

Pg 228 WoR

A quick google search found me no discussion on this and I think it pertains heavily hear. My first listen I simply took this to mean that seduction was the same as a man using strength to gain power, that it had no sexual connotations. When he pointed it out the word woman jumped out at me. This doesn't seem to mean fighting for power nor showing off a ripped body, but actually physically dominating a woman, whether for sex or just in a normal abusive way, like the abusive father who beats his wife to make her stay in the kitchen. 

I originally thought this meant she herself was sexually abused, but I'm beginning to back down from that. She just seems, well, too put together for that. While plenty of rape and child abuse survivors are well put together, I feel like if she were that damaged it would make sense to show it more. Instead I'm more leaning towards the idea that she witnessed a man abusing a woman, probably her father beating her mother, maybe when he finds out she loved Dalinar. It would still cause her to be withdrawn and distrustful of men, however it wouldn't be such a huge betrayal that she wouldn't love and want to protect her father.

While possible we have to remember that at one point in her life Jasnah was broken.  Broken like Shallan and Kaladin have been broken.  Living in an abusive household would, maybe, cause that level of problem, not without mirroring Shallan's story too much.  That said, the Radiant's do seem to also have to deal with wanting to help others more than themselves, but I can see Jasnah wanting to help escape the psuedo oppression of Alethi society(Which is actually not that unequal, given that women hold much of the real power.)

While possible we have to remember that at one point in her life Jasnah was broken.  Broken like Shallan and Kaladin have been broken.  Living in an abusive household would, maybe, cause that level of problem, not without mirroring Shallan's story too much.  That said, the Radiant's do seem to also have to deal with wanting to help others more than themselves, but I can see Jasnah wanting to help escape the psuedo oppression of Alethi society(Which is actually not that unequal, given that women hold much of the real power.)

We don't know how broken Shallan was or what caused it. She must have broken before killing her mother, as that is what caused her to kill her mother and it appears that before that her father was a normal dude. So there is nothing to suggest serious trauma before then, besides Syl's comment, they were all broken silly

There's all sorts of evidence.  Every Radiant we've seen has clear scars.  Shallan was broken beforehand, we just don't know why, as she's repressed her earlier memories even harder than the ones of her mothers death.  That suggests some very serious trauma.(I'm not sure what it was, as she hides from it pretty hard, but the broken wretch she showed, the one without joy...  It suggests something much deeper than killing her mother in self defense...

Beyond that I stand by the theory that the Knight's Radiant are a study on mental Health, and a work meant to inspire those suffering from poor mental health, to help them see that there is hope, even through the worst life can bring.  That could be the professional side of my life coloring my interpretation of the series, but given Renarin's neurological health and Kaladin's obvious chronic depressive bouts I feel justified in the theory.

Just wanted to point out that while Jasnah dismisses romantic connections with a man, this doesn't in any way mean she is asexual. She's precisely the kind of person who'd see sex for what it is, and having no issues having sexual relations with a man without letting that mean she'll marry him. 

And I think Jasnah's change when she became an adolescent may simply be because she figured out that her mother did not love her father. I don't think she hates Navani, but she probably figured out that her mother married the elder brother out of political expediency. And I think that explains both her disdain for getting tied down to a man (especially one you've never met) and her comment comparing using the beauty of your face to get a man being the same as a man using his muscles to force a woman. 

She is the kind of woman most men in a place like Alethkar would be turned off by. In fact, I distinctly remember some lord or prince in WoR making a disparaging statement about her along those lines. I think that's something Jasnah the adolescent would have sensed too, and that would have made her disdain the men around her even more.

And I agree she isn't a very good candidate for a sociopath. The quote about Taravingian is telling. She's troubled that men who are violent and aggressive to gain success are viewed as the best men. A sociopath would have much less trouble with that.

we should keep in mind that arranged marriage is the common and usual thing here.

that is also the reason why Shallans father was annoyed about the engagement of his son, i guess.

Dalinar makes it a point that he does not want to force Andolin into marriage, which shows that this can be done.

maybe this happend to Jasnah and she fought her way out of it.

her having children could have been very high on Gavilars list of priorities,

because it would keep the throne in his familiy, if something should go wrong.

• 2 weeks later...

I found myself wondering this as well, though I think it was set off by a different line in the same conversation. I don't think that it necessarily has anything to do with her desire to be a scholar, though.

Just wanted to point out that while Jasnah dismisses romantic connections with a man, this doesn't in any way mean she is asexual. She's precisely the kind of person who'd see sex for what it is, and having no issues having sexual relations with a man without letting that mean she'll marry him. 

And I think Jasnah's change when she became an adolescent may simply be because she figured out that her mother did not love her father. I don't think she hates Navani, but she probably figured out that her mother married the elder brother out of political expediency. And I think that explains both her disdain for getting tied down to a man (especially one you've never met) and her comment comparing using the beauty of your face to get a man being the same as a man using his muscles to force a woman. 

I think this is extremely likely. Its possible she is homosexual, but if she is I think it will be same way Dumbledore was homosexual. It will be tangential to the story, and never really appear on the page. The real world reason for this is that Jasnah is already sort of an alternate pov from the author with her atheism. There is WoB that he did this very carefully and with a lot of input from atheists. Making her blatantly homosexual as well would probably come off as didactic (whether intended or not) and distract from the story.

For Jasnah there are very logical and practical reasons to avoid romantic entanglements. It would distract from her urgent work. Also if she married and had children it would create rival claimants for the throne, which is the last thing Alethkar needs. 

• Chaos locked this topic