[OB] Chapter 83 The Girl Who Stood Up

LtGrimes618

Anyone else put Oathbringer down after chapter 82 where Wit speaks to Shallan? I was blown away at the dialogue in this scene and the way Wit was able to tap into Shallan's biggest regrets/failures and illustrate how she needed to move beyond them. Truly one of the most moving parts in this third chapter. Any thoughts from the community on this scene? 

I agree that it was a great scene. I really enjoy when we get a glimpse of Wit/Hoid being more serious or personable or something, I can't think of the right word. It's as if the scenes like this have an even more effective and moving tone since it feels, to me at least, that we see Wit dropping his mask and get a bit of Hoid without the cover of salty snark. 

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Chapter 83 The Girl Who Stood Up

I'm probably massively in the minority on this, but I found that entire scene incredibly boring the first time I read it and mostly just skipped through. I thought it was very slow-paced and didn't end up accomplishing anything in Shallan's character arc in this book. I'll probably revise my opinion once I've read Book 4, when we get to see the full ramifications of that chapter... but with the information I currently have, it's one of the worst offenders of slow pacing for me during OB.

No I really appreciate your perspective. I think this scene takes place in a spot that can kind of seem a little jarring particularly on a first read through.  I think this conversation between Wit and Shallan may bleed into book 4 as you say. In particular the bottom of page 793 really just was moving in the way Wit took on this supportive mentorship role. I love to how he disappears after the conversation. I didn't get the sense Shallan had the opportunity to let his words sink in, at least in book 3, but I think book 4 might bring out Wit's message. After I read through this chapter a second time I really came to appreciate the way Brandon took sort of a "timeout" from the story, paused the momentum that had been building, in order to sprinkle in some character development. 

Honestly, I love the relationship between Wit and Shallan. When he drops his snarky, sarcastic role and goes into that of a mentor and friend, maybe almost a father, it really gave his character some depth.

Possibly, this could show that Hoid has been broken in a way similar to Shallan...?

3 minutes ago, Ashspren said:

Honestly, I love the relationship between Wit and Shallan. When he drops his snarky, sarcastic role and goes into that of a mentor and friend, maybe almost a father, it really gave his character some depth.

Possibly, this could show that Hoid has been broken in a way similar to Shallan...?

I think your right. I think the characters of Wit and Shallan have a lot in common and because Wit has been around so long and scene so much he is able to offer meaningful advice. I wish book 4 was out already! 

2 hours ago, LtGrimes618 said:

I think your right. I think the characters of Wit and Shallan have a lot in common and because Wit has been around so long and scene so much he is able to offer meaningful advice. I wish book 4 was out already! 

I think the fact that they are both lightweavers is also important…

And me too— Icant wait!

• Chaos locked this topic