Similar names is a coincidence or......

kogs

Hi everybody.  I am embarrassed to admit I have only read 2 Sanderson works related to the Cosmere: Mistborn and Stormlight Archives.  I shall fix that soon enough.

Anyway, I noticed in the two works there are very similar names.  For the main characters at least, the ones with similar names seem to have similar roles or at least similar abilities in the book.  Is this simply a coincidence because the names sound cool or is there something else brewing in the background?  I'm sure people far smarter than I have made some connections if there is any, but I couldn't find it in the search.

Here's a quick list I compiled, please excuse any misspelled names.

Kaladin, Kelsier

Veil, Vin

Shallan, Shan

Szeth, Sazed

Elhokar, Eland

Taravangian, Tevidian

Mraize, Marsh

Zahel, Zane

What are your thoughts?

Edited by kogs

I didn't remember either until I looked up some characters for further evidence.  Tevidian is Vin's father!   

Surly Brandon doesn't do anything by accident, right?

Edited by kogs

I'll admit, so far many little interesting things seem to mean more in the Cosmere. But this could just be Brandon inventing original names and they tend to sound the same. Though, like you said, surely no accidents?

That's who Tevidian was! Thanks!

Some of the names I can see similarities, but until you've read all the Cosmere works, I don't want to really discuss them. :P

I wouldn't put any significance to it. One of the ways authors, Brandon included, make sure readers don't get confused is to create names that not only sound different, but also start with different letters. So given a fairly large cast, we can expect a roughly normal distribution of names' first letters in each book.

• Chaos locked this topic