Music associated with Stormlight

I read all of the 3.5 Stormlight books back-to-back, almost always with a specific Google Play Music playlist playing in the background: Downtempo Instrumentals. "Hypnotic breaks and pensive electronic soundscapes from some of the greatest electronica artists: the perfect soundtrack for reading, working, or just relaxing."

Now every time I hear this type of light electronic music I think of Kaladin, spear in hand, marching across the Shattered Plains...

And that got me thinking, does anyone else associate a specific playlist/album with these books? I'm curious how broad such associations may be.

Well... there's The Black Piper's album Kaladin that's directly inspired by Kaladin's story arc in The Way of Kings, so I think that qualifies as music associated with The Stormlight Archive.  Just awesome.

Beyond that, most of the music by the group Two Steps from Hell often makes me think of the epic battles in Stormlight.

I'm a bit in love with "The Greatest Showman" soundtrack.:ph34r: And, was listening to it a lot whilst reading OB.

I think a movie (and its attendant soundtrack) about a charismatic but flawed man pulling together a group who are considered misfits and outsiders by the rest of the world, but who are in fact powerful, special and amazing in their own right, fits SA pretty well (even if you're not a fan of musical theatre!)

4 minutes ago, Fully_Invested said:

@ljósmóður I'm amazed you can listen to such charismatic music while reading! I can never read with lyrics playing in my ears, I find myself splitting attention between the two.

I have listened to it A LOT :ph34r: It's such a soundtrack to my life now that, despite how 'large' the music is, it's become very much a background sound when I'm doing other things. It helps that I'm old school and have the CD which has lyrics in it so I'm not distracted by wondering what they're singing because I can just look it up, minimising that particular distraction!

I like "Serial Thrilla" by Nergaoul The Prodigy:

Damage destructor
Crowd disruptor
You corruptor
Everytimer..
Yea!
Damage destructor
Crowd disruptor
Mainliner
Everytimer..
Taste Me, Taste Me!
Succumb to me, Succumb to me!
Taste Me, Taste Me!
Serial Thrilla, serious killa!
Damage destructor
Crowd disruptor
Mainliner
Everytimer..
Taste Me, Taste Me!
Serial Thrilla,

Say what you will about the movie, but "What Are You Going To Do When You're Not Saving The World" by Hans Zimmer (From the Man of Steel soundtrack) is one of the most epic tracks ever.  I associate it with the first time Kaladin "flies" (read- falls.  Remember, "the enemy's gate is down" haha).  

On 5/23/2018 at 7:48 AM, Zath said:

Well... there's The Black Piper's album Kaladin that's directly inspired by Kaladin's story arc in The Way of Kings, so I think that qualifies as music associated with The Stormlight Archive.  Just awesome.

Beyond that, most of the music by the group Two Steps from Hell often makes me think of the epic battles in Stormlight.

Agreed, + Two Steps From Hell is great. A lot of epic soundtracks. 

I went through a few playlists on 8tracks and ever since then, these songs remind me of certain characters:

Bridge 4: Blackwall - Something to believe in

Kaladin: Bohnez - Middle Finger

Syl: Asja Kadric - Fear not this night (Guild Wars)

pre Nightwatcher Dalinar: Sam Tinnesz - Play with fire

Lift: David Larsen - Twinborn (Never mind that it's a Mistborn soundtrack ^^)

I'm still lacking good Szeth, Pattern, Shallan & Lift songs

On 5/24/2018 at 10:39 AM, go_go_gragdet said:
I like "Serial Thrilla" by Nergaoul The Prodigy:

Damage destructor
Crowd disruptor
You corruptor
Everytimer..
Yea!
Damage destructor
Crowd disruptor
Mainliner
Everytimer..
Taste Me, Taste Me!
Taste Me, Taste Me!
Damage destructor
Crowd disruptor
Mainliner
Everytimer..
Taste Me, Taste Me!
Serial Thrilla,

Sounds like Odium's theme song.

On 5/22/2018 at 11:48 PM, Zath said:

Yes! I would definitely suggest supporting the Black Piper group and ordering The Kaladin Album. Nearly every song is based on a scene from the book, and adds so much to the experience! There isn’t a song on the album I don’t love!

• Chaos locked this topic