A House Of Ashes chronology

animalia

Can anyone tell me where A House Of Ashes takes place in in-universe chronology. I got the feel that it takes place between The Eleventh Metal and Mistborn proper but it was hard to be sure and it was possible that some of the stories segues into Mistborn proper rather than taking place all before hand. Complicating matters is the fact that (I believe I am not certain) this was Brandon Sanderson letting other authors play in the Mistborn sandbox a little, at least in terms of making short stories, so we can only tell where in the chronology these stories take place by using context clues.

Brandon has said that the House of Ashes stories aren't canon, so trying to place them on a timeline is sort of academic

Dragon13

Of the short stories included in the Mistborn Adventure Game, I know you were involved in The Eleventh Metal. Are the others considered canon?

Brandon Sanderson

The Allomancer Jak [and the Pits of Eltania] one, yes. Everything else, no.

source

Some time before Rashek's death since the stories refer to the Lord Ruler in the present tense. And that's assuming that they don't take place in their own separate continuity where the events of Mistborn: The Final Empire don't happen, which is something that the MAG suggests as a potential campaign idea. Since they're not canon, the question is ultimately moot.

• 4 weeks later...
On 5/8/2018 at 8:01 PM, Chaos said:

House of Ashes is not at all canonical. It's basically fan fiction.

Is the Haunted Gondola from the paper in New Seran supposed to be fiction (in world) or an account? If it’s fiction, the author (in world) is very cosmere aware and if it’s an account the woman in the story meets a Threnodite and Hoid. 

The broadsheet stories are clearly sensationalized accounts (which is entirely in keeping with the way things were in the real world at the equivalent time period) and how much truth is contained within them is a matter of debate. However, they're presented as fact and the characters within them actually exist. Wax mentions Jak as a real person for example, not just a story in the papers. So Nicelle Sauvage/Nicki Savage from the SoS and BoM broadsheets is real and at least claims that the stories she tells are true. And we have Word of Isaac that yes, the bit about her meeting Nazh is factual.

Oudeis

In Shadows of Self, there was a broadsheet article about a woman in the southern mountains who ran into a strange red and black person by a placid pool. Her name was [Nicelle] Sauvage, and I admittedly made a bit of an assumption that she and [Nicki] Savage are the same woman.

Isaac Stewart

You are exactly right! She did appear in the Shadows of Self broadsheet. Thank you for reminding me of that.

Oudeis

The name adaptation threw me off, I only picked it up this last time I read through it in my epic-cosmere-re-read leading up to Oathbringer.

I do have to admit, while pretty cool, the dashing stranger who tried to kill a nice woman and destroyed public property in the sky above a metropolis using unknown arcana seemed... a little out-of-character for Nazh as we've otherwise seen him.

Isaac Stewart

[Nicki] added some extra drama to her version of events to make it more interesting. I don't think Nazh would've tried to kill her, though he might want her to think that he was. He's easily annoyed by those who get in the way of his missions, even if they're just nosy adventurers. :)

Footnote: Nicelle Sauvage is mentioned in the "Visitors From Other Worlds" article in "The House Record" broadsheet. Nicki Savage is mentioned in "The Ghastly Gondola!" article in "The New Ascendancy" broadsheet.
source

• Chaos locked this topic