[Theory] Reason behind the issues with the Windrunners and the Skybreakers

Radiant Storm

In the book, WoR, it said that the windrunners had some issues with the skybreakers. I believe this is because of the nature of their spren. Windrunners bond to honorspren, while skybreakers bond to highspren. Honorspren will do the right thing always, even if it means breaking the law. While, highspren will always follow the law. This ties into the conflict between following the law and doing what is right. Thus, the reason behind their conflict. Any ideas?

Seems to be a reasonable interpretation. Jasnah claims spren politics are complex, however, so I'm wary of assuming too much at this point.

(Minor quibble: highspren would say following the law is right, probably justifying it by saying that it might cause a few issues here and there for individuals, society is better off as a whole if laws are enforced strictly. Honorspren would say that the law is irrelevant when considering the right thing to do. Really, the words 'good' and 'right' are so vague and fluid and subjective that it makes me very sad that everyone uses them.)

Also tied in with this is the notion of Justice (one of the divine attributes for Skybreakers) which is related both to the law and to cultural bias.

In addition the 'spirit' of the law may be differently interpreted to the letter of it.

At one extreme is Nalans actions - using and twisting existing laws to persecute and murder emergent surgebinders.

At the other is the stretching of legal interpretation to achieve a more 'just' outcome.

It will be interesting to see where the Skybreaker Radiants sit on this spectrum.

Edited by The Count

I agree with all that was said and will add that both connected to Gravitation surge. I speculate that the Skybreakers have some sort of flying/hovering technique too, so both parties feel they deserve the place of the flying unit in the hierarchy of the KR.

Edited by shinintendo

Is that man in the black military coat who is trying to kill surgebinders around the world, the herald Nalan? How do you figure that out?

People already had that figured out with the prerelease chapters, but it was confirmed when he brought back Szeth.

Any idea why he is doing it? I mean, a herald killing _surgebinders_? If it was just justice, then why doesn't he go and kill/punish normal people too? Also, why does he say "indiscretion" when someone else surgebinds? Like that man Ym, when he healed the boy's foot, Nalan says "it was hard to detect your indiscretion".

I'm new to the forums (I think this is my first post) so I don't really know how to search for general sounding stuff like "man in military coat". Can someone give me the link to the original thread on this discussion? 

I think it'a more than that. An epigraph describes the conflict, wherein Skybreakers took near absolute control and started separating the innocent from the guilty in a random crowd. The windrunners intervened. So it's more than just law versus right, it somewhat seema to deal with Freedom and choice. Totalitarianism at one end and Chivalrous action at the other... With the Windrunners being seemingly less extreme.

Interestingly, this makes two adjacent orders that might possibly have issues with one another - Skybreakers and Windrunners (Lawful versus Good), and then we have Lightweavers - who have Liespren as their bonded spren and craft lies and half-truths with Surgebinding and Illumination - and Truthwatchers (also interestingly, they can make lies with Illumination as well). I'm expecting a little conflict there between Shallan and Renarin. Not much, since they're on the same side, but a little.

I'm now wondering if all adjacent orders don't get on perfectly..

Edited by Wyrmhero

I think Truthwatchers and Lightweavers will have less conflict than we'd guess. Truthwatchers seem more about Scrying with lightweaving and their crazy number crunching probability thing. But I don't think they'd have ethical issues with using illusions to decieve. I mean the description of their order isn't exactly the bluntly honest type. They seem more like they dislike communicating as a whole...

• Chaos locked this topic