Funny WOB

I recently ran across this WOB, that I thought was hilarious.  Apparently in 2011, Brandon was planning for subsequent Stormlight books to be shorter than Way of Kings... 

We all know how that turned out.  (Hardback page count: WOK - 1001; WOR - 1087; OB - 1248)

Yserbius

What made you decide on a 10 book length for The Stormlight Archive? Do you have the entire thing planned out, including how it will be paced and plotted?

Brandon Sanderson

I had eight characters I wanted to tell a story about, and wanted to give each one a book to include flashbacks and specific character development. Once I got to outlining, I realized that I had material for about ten books, and ten was a very special number in the world. So I settled on that.

It will be paced and plotted much as the first, though I plan the future books to be a little shorter than the first establishing one. There will be two primary five-book arcs, so you could consider it two series of five, if you'd prefer.

source

• 2 weeks later...

Sanderson descriptions of book length:

Novella: 300 pages

Short book: 600 pages 

Medium book: 800 pages

Long book: 1200 pages

What's funny is that I'm not actually exaggerating. These are the approximate lengths of his books.

It'd be pretty funny if they just kept getting longer and didn't do what happened with Harry Potter having two shorter books after the fifth. At this rate I think we can expect the final book to be over 2000 pages, one meaty monster to be sure.

• Chaos locked this topic