Wit and Breath [Spoilers]

Rlain

In a conversation with Kaladin, he seemed to imply that he had reached the second level of bichromatic breath

Wit leaned down to tune his instrument, one leg crossed over the other . He hummed softly to himself and nodded. “Perfect pitch,” Wit said, “makes this all so much easier than it once was. . . .” 

Sanderson, Brandon (2014-03-04). Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 727). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

I'm not sure what this implies, but I found it interesting.  Combining this with the fact that Nightblood is there at the end, and how the Honorblades are supposed to drain stormlight like Nightblood drains breath.

I'm having trouble finishing the picture, but I get the feeling that group of info is important.

I'm also trying to figure out how Nightblood made his way there.  Any thoughts?

Hoid is most probably an allomancer, as he put something in his drink when meeting with Shallan's father. Brandon confirmed that it was something that most humans would not want to drink but that helps Hoid. I'm guessing bronze to sense Shallan's Lightweaving. Brandon has already confirmed (I think) that Allomantic bronze is able to sense multiple types of investiture, not just allomancy.

As for the other stuff, I think it's already been covered. Welcome to the forums!

Thanks for the invite Chrono.  I've actually been a Sanderson reader for years, and have looked at 17th shard a bit, but it looks like I'm woefully behind on recent Cosmere developments (Recent meaning last 7 months or so).  

So we know that Zahel is Vasher, but we have we answered the question as to why Hoid now appears to have perfect pitch?  He would need Breaths to get that, unless he has been building it as a Feruchemist, and I wasn't aware musical talent was something they could store.

So how did he get perfect pitch?

And with the knowledge that Zahel is Vasher, what do we make of the following:

He expected a voice to speak in his mind as he drifted off. Of course, there wasn’t one. Hadn’t been one in years.

Sanderson, Brandon (2014-03-04). Words of Radiance (Stormlight Archive, The) (p. 399). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

Is Vasher expecting a spren to talk to him, Nightblood, or some other entity?

So how did he get perfect pitch?

Vasher/Zahel mentioned something along the line of sustaining himself through a similar force - which I presume is Stormlight (which is similar to Breaths apparently). So either Wit just came back from Nalthis, or Vasher traded his Breaths for the ability to use Stormlight instead (switching Investiture).

I believe Brandon mentioned that different Investitures can work across systems, though the effects that they have aren't the same as a system's natural Investiture.

There is a very good chance that Hoid is of at least the second Heightening, if not more. The fact that people don't comment or notice the change in color around him could mean that he simply burns copper to hide his Investitures.

It is also possible that the investiture leak that the returned experience is tied directly to nalthis and the shard there--kind of like a return to equilibrium. It may be that he no longer loses breaths each week since they have no place to go--course it could also be true that he just goes home and buys more breaths periodically. He could just stockpile them since he only loses one a week.

• Chaos locked this topic