[Full Book Spoilers] Esoteric Abilities

Moogle

I’m not certain yet how the ten levels of Voidbinding or its cousin the Old Magic fit into this paradigm, if indeed they can. My research suggests that, indeed, there should be another series of abilities that is even more esoteric than the Voidbindings. Perhaps the Old Magic fits into those, though I am beginning to suspect that it is something entirely different.

From the Ars Arcanum, we have speculation from the author that there is another magic system set up on Roshar. We know (sort of) that the Old Magic is direct intervention through sprengod or else Cultivation, and so it doesn't count as a system. This leaves us with...

• Surgebinding (+fabrials)
  • Voidbinding (+fabrials)
  • A Third System (+fabrials?)

Surgebinding is obviously a mix of Honor and Cultivation. Voidbinding is likely Odium, plus (maybe?) Cultivation. The third system is then... a mix of Honor, Odium, and Cultivation? Or perhaps just Cultivation alone?

The fact that the author's rearch "suggests" these exist, but could not find them, likely means he's using Realmatics to determine things. I think our Intent Meshing theory for determining the number of magic systems on a planet might be correct, and it suggests that there could be a third system (composed of all three Shards).

This is very speculative, but does anyone remember seeing anyone do things they should not have been able to in the books? The focus of Roshar appears to be spren, so we should probably look for spren composed of all three Shards to find out what these "esoteric abilities" are. I'm thinking it could plausibly be something similar to Surgebinding, but instead of the Immortal Words, you cultivate vigilante justice or something. I'm grasping at straws.

We have this WoB:

rags
You have told us there are more than 30 magical systems on Roshar. I am assuming there are 10 surgebindings and 10 voidbindings. Do the next 10 belong to another such classification? If yes, can you give us the name for it.
Brandon Sanderson
Fabrials are part of it.

Before, I thought this just meant that the ten Surgebinding fabrials counted as a third way to access the Surges, but I'm not sure anymore. Why would this be "esoteric", according to the author of the Ars Arcanum? He's (she's?) seen magic systems everywhere else. This doesn't seem as esoteric as Sel's systems, for example.

The WoB isn't very useful because fabrials are just a "part" of it.

Does anyone have any ideas?

Sprenbinding? Trapping Spren is how fabrials work, right?

Yes. However, the Ars Arcanum author is aware of how fabrials work. Why would he mention esoteric abilities he had no idea on when he had previously mentioned fabrials?

We have this WoB:

Before, I thought this just meant that the ten Surgebinding fabrials counted as a third way to access the Surges, but I'm not sure anymore. Why would this be "esoteric", according to the author of the Ars Arcanum? He's (she's?) seen magic systems everywhere else. This doesn't seem as esoteric as Sel's systems, for example.

We've seen a regrowth fabrial, and a Soulcaster (transformation fabrial) maybe we will see 10 fabrials that will match the powers of the knights radiant. So non-surgebinders can fight the Desolation's as well. 

We've seen a regrowth fabrial, and a Soulcaster (transformation fabrial) maybe we will see 10 fabrials that will match the powers of the knights radiant. So non-surgebinders can fight the Desolation's as well. 

We know that fabrials can replicate all of the Surges as per WoB. This isn't esoteric however. Soulcasters (Transformation fabrials) are known by everyone on Roshar. The Ars Arcanum author undoubtedly knows about fabrials used to Surgebind, as well as regular fabrials. Surgebinding fabrials cannot be what the author is referring to.

Thinking on it, the only "esoteric" ability I can find in the novels is the Soulcasting ardents. Their skin has changed to something stone-like, and their eyes sparkle like gems. Nalan and the Radiant using Regrowth fabrials did not change in this way. This makes me think that you can go a step further with fabrials, and perhaps 'spike' yourself with them or bond them so strongly that it physically changes you. The relationship to Hemalurgy (with altered bodies) is there.

But then, that might just be them becoming Stormlight savants or something. Or perhaps using a fabrial means they are unprotected from its effects like a Radiant. Radiants have Stormlight, which heals them as they do dangerous things. Using a Soulcaster without holding Stormlight might harm you. It seems doubtful that this is an entirely new set of abilities, though.

Still, I think it fits the 'esoteric' description: prolonged usage of a fabrial physically changes you and grants you strange abilities. I'd like to see what prolonged usage of different fabrials does.

Edited by Moogle

Well, It doesn't have to be just fabrials. I was thinking maybe other, unknown things can be done with trapped spren.

Like the Listeners' forms! 

Wait, could that be the 3rd system?

10 Surges

10 Essences

10 Passion

10 Fools

10 Unmade

10 Heralds

10 Kingdoms

10 Body focus

10 Soulcasting properties

10 Gemstones

10 Divin Atributes (x2)

What else?

Actually you may think of removing the last one...as you have 11 there! :)

Edited by Wispsy

• Chaos locked this topic