[OB] Herald Insanity

Mewmeister

So, if we had to rank the Heralds (whose insanity we know/can infer) from least violently insane to greatest, what would that list look like.

For me, Jezarin, Ash, Nale, Ishar, Godking guy(blanking on his name), Taln(oops, forgot)

Also, just general discussion on this.

Edited by Mewmeister

Ash seems a version of compulsive disorder, which makes her destroy all imagery of herself as Herald. Battar seems to be helping the Diagram, which seems like a great insanity for the Herald of scholars and wisedom, as the Diagram is the epitome of lack of wisedom plus stupidity hiding as brilliance. Jezrien was drowning his sorrows in a bottle, classical :). Nale we know pretty well. Ishar is the godpriest of Tukar, and until further notice I am mentally calling him Masema 2.0 :P. Taln is so much of a wildcard I will have zero expectations for him in the next 20 years, as he could do anything from drooling on the floor for the next 2 books to leading entire armies against the Fused.

2 hours ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

Ash seems a version of compulsive disorder, which makes her destroy all imagery of herself as Herald. Battar seems to be helping the Diagram, which seems like a great insanity for the Herald of scholars and wisedom, as the Diagram is the epitome of lack of wisedom plus stupidity hiding as brilliance. Jezrien was drowning his sorrows in a bottle, classical :). Nale we know pretty well. Ishar is the godpriest of Tukar, and until further notice I am mentally calling him Masema 2.0 :P. Taln is so much of a wildcard I will have zero expectations for him in the next 20 years, as he could do anything from drooling on the floor for the next 2 books to leading entire armies against the Fused.

The reason I extrapolate Ash's insanity further than just the scratching out of her face is her insistance that Taln should hate her. It seemed to me like she was trying to confirm her own self hatred through him. I feel like the scratching out of her face is a symptom of this. Also, Jezrien ain't exactly insane anymore now is he. Don't know whether he's lucky or not.

2 hours ago, WhiteLeeopard said:

Ishar is the godpriest of Tukar, and until further notice I am mentally calling him Masema 2.0 :P.

Upvote for this alone

And if we are ranking violently insane, Taln needs to be near the bottom. All he does is sit there and drool. Not very violent.

Masemshar wins this one easy

2 hours ago, Storms! said:

Upvote for this alone

And if we are ranking violently insane, Taln needs to be near the bottom. All he does is sit there and drool. Not very violent.

Agreed.  Masemishar seems the utterly nuttiest of the bunch.

“ ‘A warning,’ ” Navani read, “ ‘from Tezim the Great, last and first man, Herald of Heralds and bearer of the Oathpact. His grandness, immortality, and power be praised. Lift up your heads and hear, men of the east, of your God’s proclamation.

“ ‘None are Radiant but him. His fury is ignited by your pitiful claims, and your unlawful capture of his holy city is an act of rebellion, depravity, and wickedness. Open your gates, men of the east, to his righteous soldiers and deliver unto him your spoils.

“ ‘Renounce your foolish claims and swear yourselves to him. The judgment of the final storm has come to destroy all men, and only his path will lead to deliverance. He deigns to send you this single mandate, and will not speak it again. Even this is far above what your carnal natures deserve.’ ”

Nuttier than a fruit bat.

2 hours ago, Storms! said:

Upvote for this alone

Violently was less a measure of violence and more an adjective used for stress. Alas, I digress, does anyone have any ideas on the the paticular brand of insanity that some of the less fleshed out Heralds may hide?

20 minutes ago, RShara said:

Kalak seems to be cowardly and fretful, is all I can think of right now.

If we're running with the Heralds having one of their attributes reversed then it's possible that Palah(who was in the palaneon or whatever its called)'s insanity is hiding/changing knowledge in an attempt to kept the desolation from coming.

Jez seemed more like the traditional version of madness (skittish, babbling, bad hygiene).

Nale's is......precarious.  I think he is barely holding himself together on a pillar of lies.  Knock knock, down it goes.

Ishar not sure about.  The letter makes him sound pretty far gone and delusional, however the respect the other Heralds give him is curious (though admittedly their judgements aren't sound either!).  I wonder if the letter is fake crazy or maybe Nale and Ash haven't seen him in awhile (decades? centuries?) and they haven't realized how far his own insanity has progressed.

Ash seems relatively okay, all things considered.  She's coherent, social, and can hold down a basic job. Agree with @WhiteLeeopard it seems almost more a form of OCD.

Taln is very curious.  He's got some bare minimum coping mechanisms in place (verbal mantra on repeat, remind anyone else of the Hoed?) but I mean wow, when he "came to" for that short period he freaking blew me away.

• Chaos locked this topic