Seonid

So, does anyone here play the LOTR Living Card Game published by Fantasy Flight Games?

I own most of the expansions, and love it! In my experience, I've never found a Lord of the Rings game that captures the theme and feeling of the books as well as this one does. Even better, it's a cooperative game that can be played in solo, so you don't have to get a group together to enjoy it.

And if you don't play it yet, are you interested? :P

I have been thinking about getting this game for a while. I'm glad you like it. Do you think it's worth it? I own and love Netrunner, X-Wing Miniatures, and several others, but my brother is kind of lame and gets tired of a game after playing it maybe ten times, so I'm wondering if the solo play is actually a fun option. What is your opinion?

55 minutes ago, MasterJack said:

I have been thinking about getting this game for a while. I'm glad you like it. Do you think it's worth it? I own and love Netrunner, X-Wing Miniatures, and several others, but my brother is kind of lame and gets tired of a game after playing it maybe ten times, so I'm wondering if the solo play is actually a fun option. What is your opinion?

I think it's definitely worth it. I generally play 2-handed solo (controlling 2 decks as if I was playing with 2 players) because I like getting the interplay and synergy between my decks. But I know a bunch of people who play pure solo and have a blast with it.

I'd get the core set first and see if you find that worth your while. I find even those quests to be still fun and enjoyable after nearly 2 years of play.  Be warned, the game is difficult and unapologetically so. But I think that's part of why I love it.

For somebody just getting into the game, I'd recommend the blog series Beorn's Path, which goes through the Core Set and then the first adventure cycle, building decks and talking about strategy.

Ooh, that’s really neat. I love direct damage decks, and I’m glad to see a bit of deviation from the Argalad direct damage decks going around. I think your deck could use a copy or two of Goblin-cleaver in case an enemy does actually end up engaging, as if you have a Spear of the Citadel out already, it serves as essentially a free kill.

I think this deck could pair very well with a gimmicky deck I made using Harbor Master. It essentially uses Gandalf's Staff+ Bifur+ Errand-riders for insane resource distribution, and also has Theodred and Steward for even more resource ridiculousness. Wizard Pipe+Miruvor+Song of Travel means your deck never runs out, and by the end of the game you have 8-9 defense Harbor Masters blocking with Burning Brands. It seems really impractical, cheesy, and hard to set up, but it actually works if you pair it with ranged attacks and it’s one of my favorite decks. Basically, this would help your deck with bigger enemies that are ITPCE or have really high attacks, though Steward would be a bone of contention. My deck could probably sub in Resourceful though. 

RingsDB has ruined me. I keep typing in #the first few letters and expecting cards to pop up :P. But yeah, glad you’ve opened this channel. 

Edit: Decklist (note that this is limited card pool, since I built it for a friend who only has up to Amon Din)

Bifur, Gandalf, Theodred 

(I’ll do this later, have to eat)

Allies: 1 each of Arwen, Dori, Elrond, Galadriel, and Henamarth

2 each of Gleowine, Master of the Forge and Warden of Healing

3 each of Errand-rider and Harbor Master

Attachments: 1 each of Celebrian’s Stone, Dunedain Warning, Song of Travel, Unexpected Courage

2 each of King Under the Mountain and Miruvor

3 each of A Burning Brand, Wizard Pipe, Gandalf’s Staff, Expert Treasure-hunter, Resourceful

Events: 2 each of Flame of Anor and Word of Command

3 each of Daeron’s Runes and We Are Not Idle

If you have suggestions on how to modify the deck with modern cards, that’d be great. This was originally run alongside a Brand/Legolas/Eowyn deck, but I thought it’d match Seonid’s fairly closely.

Edited by Fifth Scholar

I tried a Gandalf-Elrond-Glorfindel without Vilya and still crushed Steward’s Fear. Elrond’s resource smoothing is a bit ridiculous at times.

Erestor-Beregond-Arwen is interesting. I’ve seen it before, but how do you kill enemies?

Denethor-Erestor-third hero is a little OP, but I like doing it with Boromir and Gondor instead of Hirluin and Outlands. But I love Gondor, so I may be a bit biased. Yeah, Outlands beat nearly anything. I put together a gimmick hypothetical situation in which one deck spams resource generation effects + Stand and Fight to summon a ton of Outlands allies from everybody else’s discards piles and calculated the deck’s hypothetical willpower maximum as 652. o_O Basically, 48 12/12/12/13 or 13/13/13/13 characters on the table, plus any Hunters of Lamedon/ Forlong/ Hirluin.

My favorite power deck is Gloin-Elrond-Grima. Yep, Grima. Nothing like a first turn Self Preservation or Steward on Gloin to get your engine running. And Gloin decks are so fun. I have to substitute actual coinage for resources at times, it gets so ridiculous. But I enjoy it every time. If I had to pick a second power deck, it would be Dwarves. People say the novelty wears off quickly, but if you just mix it up every once in a while they’re really fun to mess around with. I still like my Dwarf secrecy deck from 2 years ago. Another one focused on cheap Dwarves to fund We Are Not Idle and Thorin’s resource generation, then put a Song of Wisdom+ Steward on Thorin and let him fund a Longbeard Mapmaker. Likely impractical, but still a fun deck.

@Fifth Scholar Throw an Elven Spear on Erestor, dump out Mithlond Sea-Watchers, Dunedain Hunters, and Trollshaw Scouts. This is tactics after all :) 

Interesting. I haven't messed around with Gloin since the core set days, but I might need to pull him out again, that sounds great :D Sadly I don't own Grima.

I still don’t own many of the cards, Grima included. I proxy if I want a deck for RingsDB that I’m trying out, or if I have such a cool idea that I just have to try it out. Mostly I play with my actual card collection though. 

Those seem like effective strategies for getting out attackers. I would normally remark on the seeming inconsistency of having to draw it, but I suppose that with enough copies (and Erestor) you can find what you need quickly enough. Yeah, Erestor draw power...attacking seems like not an issue anymore. Okay. 

4 hours ago, Fifth Scholar said:

Ooh, that’s really neat. I love direct damage decks, and I’m glad to see a bit of deviation from the Argalad direct damage decks going around. I think your deck could use a copy or two of Goblin-cleaver in case an enemy does actually end up engaging, as if you have a Spear of the Citadel out already, it serves as essentially a free kill.

I certainly have thought about Goblin-Cleaver. It's a very good card, although in test runs, it just sat in hand too much. I think part of that was that I was testing the deck solo, and so willpower was a concern. If I were to drop all of the willpower and just stick to direct damage combat focus, I think it might be worth revisiting. The same thing happened for Fresh Tracks, too.

I'll take a look at your deck idea and see what I can think up in the context of a modern card pool. Harbor Master is one that I haven't given much thought to recently.

3 hours ago, Ecthelion III said:

My go-to power decks are Gandalf-Elrond-Glorfindel (of course) and Erestor-Beregond-Arwen. I just built a Denethor-Hirluin-Erestor speed Outlands deck that kicks trash and finally managed to beat Raid on the Grey Havens solo.

I saw your Outlands deck on Discord. That's an interesting one. It could benefit from recursion, but - as you say - it's out of sphere.

Thanks! I appreciate the compliments!

Gondor decks are just ridiculously fun! They are probably my favorite - mono-Lore Gondor Rangers, Tactics-Leadership Combat/Quest murder decks, even Spirit/Leadership is an amazingly fun combination...

• 4 weeks later...

Finally finished the narrative writeup of Journey Along the Anduin! Took a while, but it's done.

Maybe I ought to post these in Creator's Corner? Dunno. It's kind of an odd edge case. On the one hand, it's storytelling/creative writing. On the other, the fact that I'm constrained by the game events makes it more blurry?

Anyways, I'm rather happy with the way it turned out. So go ahead and take a look!