[OB] Odiums Trap

MrHershybar

All of the Shards that we have seen so far have been invested in a Planetary Sphere to at least some degree, apart from one big player.

The big O.

Odium has moved between systems destroying a number of shards, after splintering Devotion and Dominion on Sel he moved to Roshar where he facilitated the destruction of Ashyn and gave Honor and Cultivation time to set up a plan, I believe the plan involved bogging down Odium in a prolonged conflict forcing him to Invest on the nearby sphere Braize, he was then bound there by the Oathpact, his influence on Roshar limited and his escape from the system prevented.

The importance of a shards relation to their Sphere has been underrated so far in my opinion, have nothing to back it up as there is very little info regarding interstellar shardic or other wise travel yet just a feeling

The plan came not without cost and binding Odium to Braize killed Honor... we still don't really know or understand how Honor was killed, he existed during a number of desolations seemingly went mad and then suddenly met his demise post final desolation I believe? (correct me if I'm wrong there)

anyway been a long time reader here (usually while at work ><) first post, its been a quiet day let me know what you guys think

Odium isn't bound by the Oathpact.  The Oathpact was between the Heralds and Honor, and involved the Fused.  Odium was bound by Honor and Cultivation, long before the Oathpact.

A Shard spending enough time on a world is enough to begin Investing in it, so I think Odium has invested in both Roshar and Braize at this point.

You're right that we have very little info on how Honor was killed or what is binding Odium, so it'll be really interesting to find those things out.

Yes, there could have been a number of things linked to the event.  But it was Honor's and Cultivation's power, and whatever they did is what trapped Odium.  My point was that the Heralds had nothing to do with it.

THEY GAVE THEMSELVES UP. AS ODIUM IS SEALED BY THE POWERS OF HONOR AND CULTIVATION, YOUR HERALDS SEALED THE SPREN OF THE DEAD INTO THE PLACE YOU CALL DAMNATION. THE HERALDS WENT TO HONOR, AND HE GAVE THEM THIS RIGHT, THIS OATH. THEY THOUGHT IT WOULD END THE WAR FOREVER. BUT THEY WERE WRONG. HONOR WAS WRONG.

Odium is not the only shard to have traveled/remained unbound to a planet. 

Ambition did not settle anywhere, which is why Odium interrupted his search for them to take out D&D on Sel. When he did find her, their battle spanned multiple systems.

Autonomy is not set on a single world, but has split itself into multiple "Avatars" so as to influence multiple places at once. 

There is also a Shard that is not on a world who's intent we don't know. 

Shards have a drive to act, and to do so they need something to act upon. Odium's drive pushed him to act upon others. 

1 hour ago, MrHershybar said:

we still don't really know or understand how Honor was killed, he existed during a number of Desolations seemingly went mad and then suddenly met his demise post final desolation I believe?

Killing a Shard isn't always an instantaneous event. Honor's "madness" was a side-effect of the protracted process. If you've read MB:Secret History, there's a good example of this there.

Considering the Stormfather's comment about "coaxing out forces that could hurt [Odium]," there might have been some manner of Shardic conflict to the Desolations too. Odium certainly seems out and about enough this time around, so if he was similarly active in the past, him and Honor could have exchanged blows.

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Odiums Trap
8 hours ago, MrHershybar said:

The plan came not without cost and binding Odium to Braize killed Honor... we still don't really know or understand how Honor was killed, he existed during a number of desolations seemingly went mad and then suddenly met his demise post final desolation I believe? (correct me if I'm wrong there)

Yeah, Honour finished dying after the Recreance.

• Chaos locked this topic