Theoretical Surgebinding Awesomeness

Trickonometry

This thread is all about coming up with awesome things that theoretically could be done with surgebinding powers. I think any combination can be accepted, as we know that Honorblades can let someone surge different ones. I know we don't know the powers for all of the surges, but I'm sure this community can come up with plenty of fun stuff anyways. :-) I'll start!

The Rail Gun/Rocket Ship: This theory works on the idea that an Edgedancer like Lift gets ahold of Kaladin's Windrunner Honorblade. Lift absolutely stuffs herself and has a sack of Stormlight filled emerald broams, so she has enough Stormlight to power Alethkar. She then proceeds to make her entire body completely frictionless and then sets up 8 basic lashings into the air - that would be Lift accelerating at 8x the rate of gravity without any resistance from wind or particles in the air. Houston, we have Lift Off.

Edited by Trickonometry

A normal Windrunner may be capable of that, depending on how versatile Atmospheric pressure is. If they can create a vacuum in front of them, then they also won't be effect by air resistance.

As for my ideas... Well, the Stonewards seem like they will be the ultimate smiths. They can use Cohesion to shape anything like it's clay per WoB, and then use Tension to make it as hard as steel. Great at sieges too: just walk through the wall like it isn't even there.

For what it's worth, at the San Diego signing I asked how far up a fully trained Windrunner with a large enough supply of Stormlight could go and was told that it was pretty enormous, as far as some of the moons.  Atmospheric pressure means being able to carry your own air supply, so they could probably even bring a friend.  Makes the Rosharan space program a lot simpler to set up.

Hmm, I think this could be easily managed with some rope to tie your friend to you, a bubble of air with a vacuum in front, and then kill a Reshi isle and take it's gemheart, probably bigger than a person, and infuse it. Tie yourselves to the gemheart, rap the air around yourselves, make a vacuum out front, many lashings upward for initial takeoff, then, once in space, remove all lashings, keep up the bubble and vacuum though. You'll have accelerated incredibly fast by now, and will be able to go to the next planet easy. Using this technique (probably making ships instead of tying yourself to the gemheart), I believe the Rosharians will fight Odium on his home turf. :P

Just have Lift bring more food. I don't think she even needs spheres. From how I read her interlude, she doesn't absorb stormlight from spheres at all.

She was using one when she first snuck into the palace to see around, right after she used some of her "awesomeness", and it was still glowing.
I think Darkness' bit with the Spheres in the hallway was just out of reflex of dealing with normal Surgebinders.

And we know Lift is anything but normal. Being normal is unlucky.

This may be sort of strange, but Edgedancers could be a strange form of Spider-Man on Roshar. Think about it:

They could use their control over the surge of friction to make their hands and feet "sticky" in order to climb walls.

Absorbing Stormlight gives them the strength, agility, and reflexes that are characteristic of the web-slinger's fighting style.

Their ability to grow and direct plants/vines could imitate web-swinging.

Granted, it would take an enormous amount of Stormlight to do so, but I could see Lift using her odd abilities to make it work without an entire backpack of spheres to draw from. As an aside, this is what happens when you binge-read two 1000+ page books back to back, and then get a night of next to no sleep. 

RaNdOm ideas:

-Renarin will see to the far future and with Jasnah help teleport to the future to a specific time(like "Back to the future 3" movie).

-If shallan will learn to fight, she can use mirror image like ninja and storm the enemy from all sides, he won't know what hit him lol.

-Lift will use reptile(Mortal Kombat) like move to put a slimy pool infront of her to trip the enemy than stab him when he's down. also good with soft martial arts to evade attacks if slimy ;).

Surges:

-Adhesion: can be used as bubble-like area around the head and prevent oxygen, but that's cheating lol.

-Division: maybe atom splitting, or making stuff crumble (makes me think of pointing at items and make them as if 1xxxx years has pass, forcing decay)

-Progression: vines stopping your foe movement, poison spores, natural spikes from plants.

-Transportation: teleport behind the foe and quick stab. teleport some heavy item above an enemy to knock him out.

I wonder How transportation work with physics the past self and all that. it can be one of the most cheatery surges ever.

Edited by shinintendo

Just think of what the Knights Radiant could do before the Recreance and the wonders they were able to accomplish. No wonder humanity and vorinism felt so betrayed but also if the knights could do this much awesomeness what abilities did the the void bringers have that could crush society so easily? So Lift's rocket really needs to stop Odium.

• Chaos locked this topic