Nightblood Theory (WoR Spoilers)

bartbug

I don't have a copy of the book here to look up the exchange between Nalan and Szeth, but my impression was that having been reborn, whatever guilt Szeth carried from his previous life and actions, it was no longer of consequence once being brought back.  He gets to start over as far as a tally sheet of good/evil deeds is concerned.  What Era mentioned above about a clean slate I think is of vital importance.  Szeth might screw things up again, but he gets to start afresh at least.

The method of revival that was used... what does it do? Did his Spirit tie get cut, or were his memories removed, or what? Or is it just a fresh start in a purely pragmatic sense.

I took it as a purely pragmatic sense, but I don't know. If it severed his emotional connection to the things he's done... yeah. Maybe no sword through the chest. I honestly wish we'd gotten Nightblood the book prior to this one, I really feel like we'd actually get a better idea of how Nightblood works and what he is from some more time on Nalthis.

May I suggest we change our formal definition of Shardblade?

If Nightblood is a Shardblade, Syl & Pattern (Sprenblades) are Shardblades and Honourblades are Shardblades - it would seem that Shardblades are physical weapons possessing a significant amount of Investiture.

The definition can't say formed of investiture, because Nightblood was a simple blade before he was made sentient due to being given the Breaths and Command.
We also cannot say they have to be a splinter of a Shard, because as far as we know, Breaths are not splinters - Divine Breaths are... but standard ones are just simple Investiture of Endowment within Humanity - although with the amount of breaths Nightblood has, he is probably holds more investiture than a single divine breath - but does that count as a splinter itself? I didn't think so.

UNLESS... 

Nope. I was hoping that there would be some kind of hint that Shashara had been killed during the construction of Nightblood - which would mean he had absorbed a Divine Breath - and therefore a splinter of a Shard. But Vasher pretty much states that he and Nightblood killed her - and had to kill her for the knowledge she had, because it was too dangerous. That would imply that it was not accidental.

May I suggest we change our formal definition of Shardblade?

If Nightblood is a Shardblade, Syl & Pattern (Sprenblades) are Shardblades and Honourblades are Shardblades - it would seem that Shardblades are physical weapons possessing a significant amount of Investiture.

The definition can't say formed of investiture, because Nightblood was a simple blade before he was made sentient due to being given the Breaths and Command.

We also cannot say they have to be a splinter of a Shard, because as far as we know, Breaths are not splinters - Divine Breaths are... but standard ones are just simple Investiture of Endowment within Humanity - although with the amount of breaths Nightblood has, he is probably holds more investiture than a single divine breath - but does that count as a splinter itself? I didn't think so.

UNLESS... 

Nope. I was hoping that there would be some kind of hint that Shashara had been killed during the construction of Nightblood - which would mean he had absorbed a Divine Breath - and therefore a splinter of a Shard. But Vasher pretty much states that he and Nightblood killed her - and had to kill her for the knowledge she had, because it was too dangerous. That would imply that it was not accidental.

Vasher did indicate that he and Nightblood killed Shashara. It's possible he absorbed a Divine Breath that way. However, I still think our definition of Shardblades is alright. Considering it's a world with magic swords already, Nalan could just have been using terminology that Szeth would understand easily.

• 2 weeks later...

I have a recent theory similar to this on the first page, but I would say that Nightblood is a mixture. I think he is a spren (possibly Voidspren) that was "killed" so he stayed a shardblade then imbued with vast amounts of breath to use as a weapon for the Manywar.

• Chaos locked this topic