cris34b

I'm just going to start this all out with a scattering of quotes all near by each other. They will be separated by lines, because I am too lazy to copy down things I do not need.

"The top of each mountain forms a kind of crater," Sigzil explained, "which is filled with a large lake of warm water. The heat is enough to create a pocket of livable land, despite the altitude. Walk too far from one of the Horneater towns, though, and you'll end up in freezing temperatures and ice fields left by the highstorms."

_________________________________________________________________________________________

"Is not just water," Rock said. "Is water of life. It is connection to gods. If Unkalaki swim in it, sometimes they see place of gods."

_________________________________________________________________________________________

"Place of the gods?"

"Is where they live. The waters of life, they let you see place. In it, you commune with gods, if you are lucky."

"You can see the spren," Kaladin pressed, "because of what happened to you in these waters."

"Is not part of the story," Rock said, eyeing him. "It is... involved. I will say no more of this thing."

"I'd like to visit," Lopen said. "Go for a dip myself."

"Ha! Is death to one not of our people," Rock said. "I could not let you swim."

_______________________________________________________________________________________

"Swimming in the emerald pools is death to outsiders," Sigzil said, "because you execute outsiders who touch them."
"No, this is not true. Listen to story. Stop being boring."

"They're just hot springs," Sigzil grumbled, but returned to his drink.

Rock rolled his eyes. "On top, is water. Beneath, is not. Is something else. Water of life. The place of the gods. This thing is true. I have met a god myself."

"A god like Syl?" Kaladin asked. "Or maybe a riverspren?" Those were somewhat rare, but supposedly able to speak at times in simple ways, like windspren.

"No," Rock said. He leaned in, as if saying something conspiratorial. "I saw Lunu'anaki."

"Uh great," Moash said. "Wonderful."

"Lunu'anaki," Rock said, "is god of travel and mischief. Very powerful god. He came from depths of peak ocean, from realm of gods."

"What did he look like?" Lopen asked, eyes wide.

"Like person," Rock said. "Maybe Alethi, though skin was lighter. Very angular face. Handsome, perhaps. With white hair."

Sigzil looked up sharply. "White hair?"

"Yes," Rock said. "Not grey, like old man, but white- yes he is young man. He spoke with me on shore. Ha! Made mockery of my beard. Asked what year it was, by Horneater calendar. Thought my name was funny. Very powerful god."

Now, I want to note this Lunu'anaki. I believe this is Hoid. Absolutely. Alethi, like Wit. Asked the year. Hoid arrives without knowing when, as he travels forward in time, drawn by the need to help. Sigzil was Hoid's apprentice for a bit, and may have known him with white hair. Also, Angular face is often used to describe Hoid.

We also cannot pass up the fact that he made fun of Rock's name and beard. A very wit-like thing to do.

On a final note, I want to say that this pool is, in my opinion, undoubtedly a Shardpool. At least, one of them must be, if not all of them in some weird set up going on with this. Who knows. Please, someone find me a description of Wit so I can compare. Thank you so much. Opinions would be nice.

I like it. It sounds about right.

Sizgil's reaction definitely cements Lunu'anaki being Hoid, I think. (Also, I love how that somewhat looks very similar to Loki, God of Mischief.)

And that being The Peaks being some sort of Shardpool...

I have always wondered how people Worldhop. Like, we know people do. And they (probably, most likely) go through Shadesmar somehow. But how do they decide or figure out where in that World they'll arrive at? Shardpools being Foci for Worldhoppers makes sense, to me, in a way.

So, yes. Total upvote for that.

I instantly thought that that was Hoid. His description of "angular face" and white hair matches others we have. Also, Rock's description of what that god is is so Hoid.

My impression on the pools was that they were an intersection between the normal world and shadesmar which would explain why they are so dangerous, this makes even more sense with worldhoppers coming out of those pools.

What better way than to use an intersection between the physical and cognitive realms? I just wonder if there are similar places on other worlds.

Every mountain has one that seems unlikely that all of the hot lakes on the many peaks could hold concreted shardic essence that we are used to. Maybe this is where Honor shattered.

I don't think there necessarily has to be a shardpool on every mountain. It's possible that neither Rock nor Sigzil are 100% correct, and one of the lakes has a shardpool at the bottom whereas the rest are just hot springs.

But... there's definitely something odd about the description of the Horneater peaks nonetheless. Each mountain has a crater at the top?! That can't be natural, even if it's not actually all of them but only a lot of them. The effect of the hot springs on the land around them also sounds supernatural.

Definitely agree that Lunu'anaki is Hoid. That was pretty obvious even on my first readthrough, but the fact that he actually has a name in Horneater mythology makes me wonder just how many times he's worldhopped to Roshar.

The references to seeing the place of the gods are almost certainly about getting a glimpse of Shadesmar, though you'd probably have to have some special ability to use the pool(s) to actually get there, as opposed to just peeking in.

The references to seeing the place of the gods are almost certainly about getting a glimpse of Shadesmar, though you'd probably have to have some special ability to use the pool(s) to actually get there, as opposed to just peeking in.

Maybe this is why it is fatal for non horneaters to enter? Others don't have some built in ability, such as the ability to eat rocks?

Edited by cris34b

Maybe this is why it is fatal for non horneaters to enter? Others don't have some built in ability, such as the ability to eat rocks?

Probably more closely related to their ability to see spren who don't want to be seen than their ability to eat shells.

I don't think all horneaters can see spren that don't want to be seen. If all horneaters could rock wouldn't have a special name for it.

Also maybe why he seems to have warrior training. Maybe after they discovered that he could see here was no longer 4th son

Edited by EvilKetchupCow

Maybe there are multiple Shardpools? Is there a reason they couldn't be set up in the method Rock's myth describes.

I don't think the Horneater peaks have much to do with Cultivation. She's described as being Further West. The peaks are West of Alethkar but I wouldn't call them Western on the map by any means.

cromptj,this is unrelated, but your signature is so annoying! every time I see it I press the spoiler button and I only get the oaths of the Windrunners!!! 

I have already started this discussion here: http://www.17thshard.com/forum/topic/6468-wit-is-lumuanaki-how-rock-can-see-spren/

but it was lost in the mountain of new threads :)

LUMU'ANAKI came out from beneath the horneater lakes, a place where you commune with Gods.

LUMU'ANAKI has an angular face (like Hoid), and white hair (like Hoid, he is said to dye his haid black).

LUMU'ANAKI made fun of Rock's beard (like Wit).

LUMU'ANAKI is the god of Travel and Mischief (like Hoid/Wit)

Looks to me Hoid came on Roshar from Sel. The Elantris AonDor pool seems to be connected to the Horneaters peaks through Shadesmar. Bathing there allow the horneaters to gain some cognitive abilities to see spren. It's interesting that Rock says that LUMU'ANAKI is forbidden by other Gods to hurt men.

I have always wondered how people Worldhop. Like, we know people do. And they (probably, most likely) go through Shadesmar somehow. But how do they decide or figure out where in that World they'll arrive at? Shardpools being Foci for Worldhoppers makes sense, to me, in a way.

Not sure that this can be accurate, given how much trouble Hoid had finding the Well.

Just a thought, if in fact all ten of the horneater peaks have shardpools, could it maybe mean that Roshar is like a hub for worldhoppers, and each of those pools links to only one of the other worlds? It would explain the frequency in which we see Hoid and other worldhoppers on Roshar.

• Chaos locked this topic