(OB)Roshone

YKDG22

Part of me is left wondering if there is something big planned for him or if he is more important than has been let on.

This quote in Particular:

Spoiler

Roshone sat on one side of the room, periodically pushing both hands along his flushed cheeks toward the back of his head in an odd nervous gesture. 

Kaladin then tells him that the Desolation has come and this is said:

Roshone groaned, leaning forward, arms wrapped around himself as if he were going to be sick.

I know he is generally held in pretty bad regard, but this seems like an over the top reaction for even the weakest of the weak.

So I'm left wondering, is Roshone a Herald? The only male still not known at this point is Kalak of the Willshapers. Is he so afraid, because he knows what's to come and that he may have to go back to Damnation again?

Wasn't Kalak at Gavilar's assassination with Nale? I mean I'm not sure if it supports or denies the theory since I don't have the book on me but I guess it's something to think about. Particularly regarding Roshone's past with the Kholins.

It's possible that he is more important. However, at present, I consider him to be a minor character created to further link Kaladin and Moash.  It shows how a protagonist and an antagonist deal with loss and mistreatment of loved family members by the same person.  He seems to be a weak individual with limited influence and intelligence.  This could change in story as I see how Odium could choose such a person for his goals.  I don't think he is a Herald.  Kalak appears in the drawings as closest to the Shin (at least in my observation).

If he is a Herald he's spending a lot of time in Hair and Makeup every morning to make it look like he's aged.

ETA: His reaction could be more than just "Stormfather, will I never be done with this storming family?!" If it is, my money is on a connection to one of the secret societies.

Edited by digitalbusker

I also find it a odd coincidence that he's likely next on Moash's list(didn't kaladin tell him that roshone was responsible for his grandparents not elhokar)

+ this draws us into a new Hearthstone arc(Odium endangering kaladin's family)

Edited by YKDG22

All of the Heralds show actions opposite to their Heraldic nature. Ishar gives terrible advice, Nale follows Ishar blindly and instead of upholding the law as a whole chases budding Radiants in a last ditch effort to stop the desolation, Jezrien isn't helping anyone instead relying on donations as a begger, Vedel kills people for Taravangian instead of caring for them, and Ash (Shashara) destroys artwork of herself.

Kalak would do things opposite to his nature which are mainly novelty and adventure

Although Roshone isn't exactly adventerous, he doesn't A, seem insane, and B, act opposite to the Willshaper's nature.

I think we will know our Herald when we see him.

Maybe he'll be the next Highprince Sadeas. With Torol and Amaram both dead, Ialai (and presumably her inner circle) exiled in disgrace, the officer causalities from the battle at the end of OB, and many Brightlords captured by the Parsh in occupied Alethkar it is possible that Roshone is the highest ranking Brightlord in House Sadeas left. Hope its not the case though for Kaladin's sake.

19 minutes ago, I'mAStickFanClub said:

Maybe he'll be the next Highprince Sadeas. With Torol and Amaram both dead, Ialai (and presumably her inner circle) exiled in disgrace, the officer causalities from the battle at the end of OB, and many Brightlords captured by the Parsh in occupied Alethkar it is possible that Roshone is the highest ranking Brightlord in House Sadeas left. Hope its not the case though for Kaladin's sake.

I'm pretty sure Kaladin outranks him, at least. 

12 minutes ago, digitalbusker said:

But Kal is in House Kholin now not house Sadeas. They talk about him having lands by some river near the capital in OB (sorry I don't have an exact quote). Basically he is Adolin's banner-man now and wouldn't be eligible to become Highprince of another princedom.

Edited by I'mAStickFanClub
Clarity

1 hour ago, I'mAStickFanClub said:

But Kal is in House Kholin now not house Sadeas. They talk about him having lands by some river near the capital in OB (sorry I don't have an exact quote). Basically he is Adolin's banner-man now and wouldn't be eligible to become Highprince of another princedom.

Point.

2 hours ago, digitalbusker said:

Appointing Kaladin as Highprince Sadeas would be an interesting move politically. It would put the Sadeas Princedom under Kholin control, but I don’t think Kaladin would accept. Wouldn’t he had to work with Ialae?

It would be interesting to see Ialae assert her own authority as Highprince (Highprincess?) She would make a good replacement for Sadeas in the villain cast. We already saw her sit at the table during negotiations with foreign powers. I assume it wouldn’t be very Vorin, but it’s hard to deny her the option when a Queen sits on the throne and half the Radiants are female.

Edited by Cosmé

9 hours ago, I'mAStickFanClub said:

Considering how wonderfully picking an enemy of the Kholins went last time you'd think the Brightlords would slowly learn their lesson. Thanks to their policy of "fight house Kholin" they are now the smallest and most disgraced house in Alethkar. I'd like to believe someone would have enough brains to see if they want to save their house in any semblance they need to change their tune or be extinct within the year. Although Sadeas' men are chaotic, I wouldn't like to see black and white with the fully "evil" house.

Apparently the only thing that is needed to become a highlord is to be chosen by the other brightlords as highlord.

12 hours ago, I'mAStickFanClub said:

Didn't Kaladin say in the early chapters that Roshone didn't even have ownership of the lands around Hearthstone? He was just a first point of contact for the higher ranked lighteyes. There must be a middle dahn lighteyes somewhere on Roshar that ranks higher than him :). Several of them probably fled to Herdaz, it's very close to Sadeas' princedom. 

Roshone is pretty low on the totem pole. He doesn't own his lands, but answers to Lighteyes above him. 

Also, Roshone's reaction might just be that of someone in world that has lived with the horror stories of the desolation? I mean, at this point we're pretty chill about the desolation (excited its happening), and the main cast have been living it so they're kinda used to it. This is the first Roshone's heard about it, right after experiencing a terrifying evil hurricane. I think its reasonable that he's just freaking out.

Also also, as LH1407 pointed out, it is suspected that the person talking to Nale during the night that Gavilar was murdered is Kalak. Jasnah didn't recognize him, thought he was a ambassador I think, and has likely seen Roshone before at some point.

Edited by Wandering Investor

14 hours ago, Cosmé said:

Appointing Kaladin as Highprince Sadeas would be an interesting move politically. It would put the Sadeas Princedom under Kholin control, but I don’t think Kaladin would accept. Wouldn’t he had to work with Ialae?

It would be interesting to see Ialae assert her own authority as Highprince (Highprincess?) She would make a good replacement for Sadeas in the villain cast. We already saw her sit at the table during negotiations with foreign powers. I assume it wouldn’t be very Vorin, but it’s hard to deny her the option when a Queen sits on the throne and half the Radiants are female.

I kind of got the feeling that Dalinar was about to ask her to be Highprince.  I don’t have the exact quote, but didn’t he say, “Ialai, I have an idea about who should be Highprince that is unorthodox and intriguing that you might be interested in,” but she cut him off and said, “I’m not going to accept your leadership or anyone you would put in my husband’s place, so here’s Amaram.”?  And Dalinar was trying to be all political instead of bluntly saying, “Well I was going to appoint you, but if you wouldn’t accept anyone I put in Torol’s place, then fine.” Probably a total fan theory, haha.

I do see a correlation between him and the order of willshapers:

Enterprising- used his influence to imprison Moash's grandparents who were his merchant rivals

Love of Adventure: went on whitespine hunt which got his son killed

I've also seen where people refer to Kalak as the everyman of the Heralds, and I can't imagine worse than a petty low level lighteyes who sticks it to poor darkeyes

20 hours ago, Cosmé said:

She eats men's food from memory. Clearly doesn't mind flaunting the rules.

I hope she comes back, she has potential to be a great character. 

1 minute ago, Song said:

She eats men's food from memory. Clearly doesn't mind flaunting the rules.

I hope she comes back, she has potential to be a great character. 

Hope so. She may even still be looking for who killed the original Highprince Sadeas (Adolin). That could be the reason why we saw that storyline sidelined in Oathbringer. Maybe it’s not time for Adolin to be discovered yet. 

Although I'm not really sold on Roshone = Kelek, I did notice a possible correlation that hasn't been brought up. Roshone is described by Dalinar as a petty lighteyes who managed to get Elhokar's ear. And in the Prologue, we see Nale hanging out with Elhokar one minute, and (someone we believe is) Kelek the next. So there could be some proximity between Elhokar and Kelek that makes it plausible.

I like the idea of Roshone being a Herald, and I also had the impression after reading Oathbringer that he might have a more important role moving forward.  But I feel like it's an unlikely possibility, since the Willshapers are at this point the Order that we seem to know the least about (is Venli's spren a Willshaper spren or is it just Eshonai's spren, or what's the difference...?).  I feel like Brandon is saving information about the Willshapers for Eshonai/Venli's book, and might be planning a more unique and unexpected role for their Herald - perhaps a big reveal where he is introduced as a new character.  

All that being said though, it's still an interesting idea.  Maybe Roshone isn't a Herald, but it would definitely be interesting if he had some other important role moving forward.