[OB] Creating parshmen

garlick

I wasn't able to find a thread about this but I was doing a reread of oathbringer and ran across a few things that gave me an idea of how the Parshmen were created. 

The beginning of chapter 80 it said

Spoiler

Ba-ado-mishram had somehow connected to the parsh people as odium once did. She provided stormlight and facilitates forms of power. Our strike teams are going to imprison her. 

The next chapter...

We are uncertain of the effects this will have on the parsh. At the very least it should deny them forms of power. Melishi is confident, but naze-daughter-kuzodo warns of unintended side effects. 

Spoiler

During during the chapters kaladins a captive he's talking to them. This is from memory so no direct quote. He's told they lost their connection, their identity. 

There's a few other things that I could reference but I'm not good at finding them. 

Anyways I think this event happened. They were able to capture the unmade and the parsh she was connected to became the Parshmen. They few that weren't connected became the parishendi. 

I don't have my book on me, but I would like to point towards the early chapter that's a flashback of Gavilar and Eshonai. He directly says the captured Unmade severed them. But it also says something to the affect that the Parshendi had turned their backs on their gods and entered willingly to the humans.

The parshendi/listeners are a little different from the parshmen, having somehow severed their Connection to Odium (or Ba-Ado-Mishram) beforehand without also losing Identity, giving up most of their forms in the process but gaining freedom from their control. Eshonai implies in the Prologue that it involved a mass transformation into dullform. My guess is that it worked by pushing out any voidspren in favor of whichever one causes dullform, then the reduction in mental capacity that followed made them resistant to attempts by voidspren to bond with them. Odium seems to work best by manipulating passions and it's possible the dullform listeners were 'too dumb to fool'. And then Ba-Ado-Mishram was taken out of the equation (whether they knew it or not) and they could start looking for better forms without fear of attracting voidspren.

Anybody else think that Odium let the Last Legion escape so he could have a possible reserve of free parsh to work with if the Radiants succeeded in lobotomizing the main populace? Most of what makes this Desolation different from the previous ones wouldn't have worked without the Listeners.

• Pagerunner changed the title to [OB] Creating parshmen
  • Chaos locked this topic