The Diagram (Spoilers)

RShara

For Jeseses 1174, it can be written as 1174-01-01-01. "Jes" is the abbreviation for the first month (ten months to a year), and then "es" is used for the first week (10 weeks to a month) and also the first day of the week. (5 day weeks).

That's the key bit that I didn't know.  Thank you!

I've posted this more fully elsewhere, but I still believe the diagram was created by an outside influence working through T, rather than being a product of a high intelligence period.

Given some of the seamingly counterproductive instructions, I think it may have come from Odium.

I got the sense that T fell afoul of literal-genieness, and what he got was the capacity for himself to stop the Desolations. However, that does not actually preclude the possibility of Dalinar being able to do so as well. So he inadvertently wound up working at cross-purposes with someone else going for the same goal. If he successfully performs all the actions instructed by the diagram, it will end the desolations and save humanity, but that doesn't make it the best plan, just one that would accomplish those goals that he had the resources to carry out and not necessarily even the only one.

While he is fallible even with his intelligence, he asked for and apparently got the capacity to stop the Desolations, so therefore his boon must allow him to succeed in doing so. But it doesn't necessarily mean he actually will, or that the way he does so is the sort of way he was hoping for when he asked.

Well, it's also possible that the 'boon' is even more meta - even if the Diagram's instructions are wrong, going about trying to fulfill the instructions are what actually saves the world.

For example if it wasn't for Szeth, there's a good chance Kaladin never becomes a Windrunner. Assuming that He Who Pities The Fool is the one who (ultimately) set up Szeth's assassination of Gavilar, it's Mr. T's actions that leads to Roshone going to Kaladin's town and triggering that whole sequence of events. Ultimately it's also Szeth's initial attempt to assassinate Dalinar that triggers Kaladin's level-up; one of the Diagram epigraphs lampshades that.

Did anyone else notice in the segment that orders the death of Dalinar was the "Third translation from the original". It makes more sense that if Dalinar sues for peace he would be the "Greatest of Allies" and if he were to "Take the path of the Warlord" he should be killed...

Im leaning towards that when Mr T was at his most brilliant, he was also on his most murderous. I think he might have decided that it was indeed the parshendi who was here first, and humans should be defeated.

The joke is on him if thats the case. He asked for the capacity to save humanity. But ended up not wanting to save humanity when the capacity arrived.

Ofcourse, he do not remember that now. But he is working towards the defeat of humanity by ways of the Diagram.

• Chaos locked this topic