[OB] Dalinar should wield Nightblood

Watchcry

On 12/16/2017 at 11:07 AM, ghajan monk said:

As I thought about Zahel, Azure, and Nightblood and their future roles in the stormlight archive it became increasingly obvious to me that Awakening would eventually take a bigger role in the story. Zahel is also known as Kalad the usurper former God-King of Hallandren and creator of an army of corpses encased in stone. Given that in roshar the dead are transformed into various metals it seems inevitable that Zahel will create another army. 

Ever since Nightblood appeared at the end of WoR the question of whether it would grant any abilities to it's weilder 

Has tantalized my mind.

Azure came into Oathbringer wielding an awakened blade searching for Nightblood and let us know that Awakening was here to stay. So I set out to make a list of all the possible ways Awakening could interact with Rosharan magic.

With awakening you take a piece of your soul called Breath and put it into an object with the right command giving it life. This Breath can be compared to spren, some of which are described as pieces of the gods. The eighth heightening of Breath has the ability of "Command breaking" I am speculating that this would allow you to alter the Intent on certain lesser spren similarly to San-want. In the cosmere it is hard to know for certain because only the God-kings have reached that heightening.

So number 1.

Creation of more shardblades. This is the easiest to speculate because the spren do express an interest awakened blades in Oathbringer.

Number 2.

Using breath instead of spren in fabrials. 

Number 3. 

Use of the eighth heightening to corrupt a spren possibly resulting in the ability to convert stormlight into breath. Similarly as Sja-anat corrupting Glys gave Renarin access to visions of the future and possibly voidbinding.

Number 4. Using the eighth heightening to convert stormlight into breath. 

Number 5.

Nightblood spren. This might be the most terrifying concept in the cosmere, spren who imitate the Ideal of Destroy Evil.

Number 6. New forms for the Singers. I saw another thread mention this one, basically you put breath in a gemheart to create a new form or alter existing ones.

It is worth noting that any magic system that replicates another will have some differences an example being the fused and the knights radiant. I feel there is more that can be done with Awakening and Surgebinding so If you think of anything I would be glad to read it.

Just read this, it gives an interesting information about Vasher being able to awaken bodies of dead lighteyes who have been soulcasted as metal statues since last desolation 4500 years ago, it will give humans a definite edge over voidbringers and if the awakened bodies somehow retained their powers from before they died , Odium will really curse himself for coming on rosher before destroying Nalthis

On 12/20/2017 at 0:26 AM, Canucck said:

With NB being an investiture sink, this might not work out well in the long run. With a direct connection to Honor wouldn't this weaken an already splintered shard even further over time? Especially with the link that Dalinar can provide

There are some contractionary WoB's on this, but it appears that the investiture that Nightblood uses isn't permanently destroyed. It will eventually make its way back to the source. Even if it didn't, on the scale of shards Nightblood isn't consuming enough to make a difference. Over a long time, yes, but during the length of the stormlight saga, no.   

On the topic of Vasher vs Heralds, we haven't seen all of the heralds' abilities yet, so it is hard to judge. I suspect Heralds would win in a fight though.

Edited by Wandering Investor

On 21/12/2017 at 6:36 PM, GoddessIMHO said:

Venli should wield NightBlood.

Steris should wield Nightblood. She's given more thought to the issues he doesn't understand than pretty much any other character.

And not being Invested she has good reason never to draw him.

• Chaos locked this topic