[OB] The Kholinar Oathgate

alercah

• 3 weeks later...

This is a little bit of a necro, but I just finished my re-read, and I’m still confused by this. How did Malata et al get to Kholinar so quickly?  It would make more sense to me if they used the Kharbranth oathgate to get to Urithiru, but would they be able to get a bunch of singers into the city without drawing the attention of the local people?

10 minutes ago, Doomdrinker said:

Shallan unlocked the oathgate at Kholinar so it only needed to be activated from urithiru.

I don’t know if I agree with that. I thought maybe the same thing, but surely after the Urithiru contingent got the message about Kholinar falling Jasnah or someone with the Jezrien’s honorblade would have tried to get to Kholinar just to see. Plus, doesn’t it mention in part five that Taravangian and his crew get on boats and sail back to Kharbranth just before the battle? I’m assuming that Malata is with him when they leave Thaylen City. 

1 hour ago, Ryder said:

I don’t know if I agree with that. I thought maybe the same thing, but surely after the Urithiru contingent got the message about Kholinar falling Jasnah or someone with the Jezrien’s honorblade would have tried to get to Kholinar just to see. Plus, doesn’t it mention in part five that Taravangian and his crew get on boats and sail back to Kharbranth just before the battle? I’m assuming that Malata is with him when they leave Thaylen City. 

Nah.  Taravangian rides off in a palanquin at the end of Part 4, and isn't mentioned again till after the battle.  He gave the Azish permission to use his boats, but he wasn't on them himself.  During the battle, Teft says he told them to help fly wounded from the triage stations to the Oathgate.

I was really confused by this.

Even if you could argue that Shallan opened it on the Kholinar side, how did Mr T communicate with the forces in Kholinar to let them know that his Radiant would open the way for them at the right time in the battle so the corrupt spren could let them through? Did span reeds work by then? Who did they know to pass on the message?

I am sure there are answers!

16 minutes ago, RShara said:

Open the Oathgate, go through, say, Hey, wanna ride?  And come back.  Or yeah, use a spanreed, deliberately attract the Fused, and tell them to be waiting.

But why would the gate be operable at that point? It wasn't when Kholinar was being ransacked. 

Spanreed is more likely

5 hours ago, Song said:

But why would the gate be operable at that point? It wasn't when Kholinar was being ransacked. 

Spanreed is more likely

When T and odium meet near the end odium mentions that T wrote a letter to him so I assume that contains t asking the fused to attack urithiru and telling them he would help. 

Also the oathgate at Kholinar was corrupted and being directly controlled in order to kill Kal, Shallan and Adolin. So far as we know a corrupted oathgate can function completely normally.

I think the real question is, if Sja-Anat is actually not evil now, why did she/he not just let the Oathgate function normally for Shallan and Co? I assumed that it was incapable of operating normally, but obviously it was. Maybe it would have been obvious that Sja-Anat defected if they were immediately transferred to Urithiru, but Odium didn't seem to know that they were in Shadesmar until they were in Celebrant. It does seem odd to me though. 

15 minutes ago, Melovespie said:

I think the real question is, if Sja-Anat is actually not evil now, why did she/he not just let the Oathgate function normally for Shallan and Co? I assumed that it was incapable of operating normally, but obviously it was. Maybe it would have been obvious that Sja-Anat defected if they were immediately transferred to Urithiru, but Odium didn't seem to know that they were in Shadesmar until they were in Celebrant. It does seem odd to me though. 

Actually the Fused were already searching for them but I assume Odium would notice if Sja-Anat defected in a too explicit way and tracking the Oathgate's function is something into his possibility.

In this way Sja-Anat could simply say she was unable to find them once they arrived in Shadesmar, her corrupted spren did what they were supposed to do (they would be able to betray her if Odium start to make the right questions) but something unexpected happened after

30 minutes ago, Yata said:

Actually the Fused were already searching for them but I assume Odium would notice if Sja-Anat defected in a too explicit way and tracking the Oathgate's function is something into his possibility.

In this way Sja-Anat could simply say she was unable to find them once they arrived in Shadesmar, her corrupted spren did what they were supposed to do (they would be able to betray her if Odium start to make the right questions) but something unexpected happened after

In addition while Sja-Anat may have defected it's not clear if all the spren she corrupts have done so as well.

23 hours ago, Melovespie said:

I thought that Odium forced Sja-anat to corrupt the Spren and once the Spren was corrupted Sja-anat couldn't reverse it. So instead she forced the Oathgate to transport them to Shadesmare as opposed to whatever Odium wanted it to do.

• Chaos locked this topic