Baseless Speculation: Savants

Khyrindor

Hey guys, my second post, so sorry if this has been said before. Do we have any evidence at all that you could be a savant without using an allomantic power? For example, could one become a Stormlight savant if they depend on it for too long?

I suspect that this is true, especially given that Allomancy is so much lower Investiture than Stormlight. It's even possible that all KR are stormlight savants. This is less of a problem in Roshar than Scadrial given that Stormlight is renewable.

We don't have any true evidence, but I have theorized before that the gem colored super-light eyes of Surgebinders (Dalinar sees a Radiant, there's Baxil's mistress...) may be a physical side-effect of becoming a Stormlight savant. Minor evidence: There's Taln, who hasn't done much Surgebinding for quite a while. He's still got dark eyes.

Slight WoR spoilers:

Similarly, Darkness does not seem to have light colored eyes, nor does he seem to do much Surgebinding.

Also, Kaladin always seems to have a low burn of Stormlight on. I almost wonder if his eyes will be permanently sapphire in a few books...

The physical reasons for why a Misting can become a savant seem to apply to anyone who uses Investiture constantly. I fully expect there to be savants of a sort in most Cosmere magic systems.

Based on the MAG rules, becoming a savant almost imparts a sort of dependence on the Investiture in question. We could say that Vivenna's desire for Breaths when she becomes a drab shows that most Awakeners are savants. The Weeping is a time when there's no Stormlight. I wonder why it got its name?

Edited by Moogle

What do you think could be possible negative effects of being a Stormlight savant?

I think I read one of the Bridge 4 members (Lopen?) saying that Kaladin had light eyes when he was fighting the Parshendi. Not sure if it was in TWoK or WoR, so I put it in here.

So perhaps this means that you can just become a lighteyes if you suck in enough stormlight, and then eventually it stays. Doesn't necessarily mean that they are savants in this aspect. I hope there are though, just to make it all uniform.

I assumed because there is steady, light rain during those weeks? But sad surgebinders, that works too I guess.

I was thinking more that everyone started crying as the Voidbringers slaughtered everyone because the Radiants lost all their strength, actually. Steady light rain wouldn't really be 'weeping' to me, that's more of a like a Sniffling.

What about a darkeyes who gains a shardblade/plate. Are their eyes only light when they're actually wielding it? I would guess that their eyes are a side effect of the gems in the plate, not sure about the sword. IF their eyes stay permanently light after that, are they directly accessing investiture/could they become a savant? 

(apologies if this has already been discussed, I don't usually follow topics on the Blades/Plates.)

I personally think that whatever it is that keeps eye colour separate is what interferes when someone becomes a Shardbearer or a Knight Radiant (or, well, Surgebinder).

WoR spoiler:

Remember also in that duel of Adolin's that the Blades have a gem as well.

I think that eye colour has something to do with Stormlight, but I guess that's getting just a bit wild. After all, what about the countless lighteyes who are born with it? By the way, do we have a quote that says you become a lighteyes when you acquire a plate? I only remember Szeth saying blade...

What about a darkeyes who gains a shardblade/plate. Are their eyes only light when they're actually wielding it?

We don't know of any cases where gaining a Shardblade made a darkeyes into a lighteyes. It is so rare for a Shard to be won like that that I would not be surprised to find that a darkeyes besides Kaladin has never won Shards and survived any backstabbing by lighteyes in the area. I believe somewhat firmly that gaining a Shardblade does not alter eyecolor. Others disagree, but we have no data to go on.

Someone with an Honorblade like Szeth (obligatory mention that it is not certain even though it's 99.9% likely), where their eye color changes when the Blade is summoned, is not a case of them becoming a savant in my opinion. That is more likely the Honorblade causing a physical change through tweaking of the spiritweb. Becoming a savant similarly tweaks your spiritweb, but this does not make someone with an Honorblade a savant!

Remember also in that duel of Adolin's that the Blades have a gem as well.

Adolin implies that the gem is worthless and only for show. I believe the presence of a gem serves two purposes: decoration and a way to signal the changing of a bond (bonding with a new person releases a brief echo of Investiture, which the gem picks up on, causing the gem to flash). It should have no effect on eye color as far as I can predict with our limited evidence.

Edited by Moogle

Slight WoR spoilers:

Similarly, Darkness does not seem to have light colored eyes, nor does he seem to do much Surgebinding.

Also, Kaladin always seems to have a low burn of Stormlight on. I almost wonder if his eyes will be permanently sapphire in a few books...

So his eyes are supposed to be Sapphire with Stormlight? I asked on another thread and got no answer. My Ebook says they turned Amber.

So his eyes are supposed to be Sapphire with Stormlight? I asked on another thread and got no answer. My Ebook says they turned Amber.

I saw in a thread somewhere else that the amber color was a mistake. I may be crazy. It would make more sense for a Radiant's eyes to turn to the gem color of their order in any case.

Edited by Moogle

Yes, I think Kaladin's eyes turn light when he sucks in enough Stormlight. I don't have time to find an exact quote right now, but I remember a conversation between him and one of his bridgemen that went something like this:

Kaladin: We're darkeyed.

Bridgemember: Not you, I saw your eyes during the-

Kaladin: Don't talk about it!

I saw in a thread somewhere else that the amber color was a mistake. I may be crazy. It would make more sense for a Radiant's eyes to turn to the gem color his their order in any case.

That was the thread I was referencing. Peter said it is I'm not mistaken.

Thanks for the quick reply.

• Chaos locked this topic