[OB] Are the people of Roshar Asian?

Llarimar

Yeah the age worries me for John Cho.  He's adorable but Adolin is only about 27 (earth years)?  I don't know very many younger Asian actors, though so I'm a bit stymied there.

Chow Yun Fat actually looks a lot like how I imagine Alethi.  The hair and eyes (shape, not color) and skin tone are perfect. 

I could see it.  He'd need some gray, is all.

Though...we should probably make this a separate thread and stop hijacking.  I think there's a movie thread already somewhere...

But I did find the perfect Sadeas...

MV5BMTAxMTM3MzM4MzVeQTJeQWpwZ15BbWU3MDIz

Edited by RShara

ItActually, East Indians, the race that Brandon mentioned in the last WoB here with seemingly more confidence, make sense to me. They have East Asian eyes but are tan and have sharper features as well. An example could be:

different-_tribesIndia16.jpg

I would imagine these features but tanner too.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcT11ac1hgrxMUk3yujgx5r

Omg forevermore this is how I see shallan, but with red hair. I don't know how the casting will go. That will be one complicated ish to be accurate about. I think they'll have to settle for different known Earth races for different nations, because established awesome actors would be easier to get. And I think in this instance, the demands of acting chops will have to take precedence over the aesthetic.

Another thing to keep in mind is that genetics don't express on Roshar the way they do on Earth, or apparently any other Cosmere worlds. The patch-and-stitch nature of genes on Roshar is bizarre, there are people like the Iriali and Herdazians with weird metallic body parts, and when couples with different hair colors have a child, the child just has both hair colors in patches. These people probably look a lot stranger than most of us are imagining, most of the time.

19 hours ago, Raykoda said:

Here we have the #1 thing I think preventing SA from getting filmed.  No Rosharan ethnicity has a on-to-one correspondence with earth ethnicities.  Some may line up better (Shin to Caucasian), but some are just weird (Alethi, as you mentioned).

Some WoB's of note:

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/120-warsaw-signing/#e7912

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/131-general-reddit-2016/#e3932

https://wob.coppermind.net/events/162-steelheart-portland-signing/#e2985

TL;DR:

Sorta.

That makes perfect sense. I kind of imagined the Alethi to be of Arab complexion, with east-Asiatic eyes and bone structure of something in between. Of course, no 1:1 mapping between them and our world.

What puzzles me is the Iriali. Metallic golden hair, yellow eyes, but what do their faces look like really? 

7 hours ago, straits said:

What puzzles me is the Iriali. Metallic golden hair, yellow eyes, but what do their faces look like really? 

I imagine them as Scandinavian in appearance, with fair skin and pale blonde hair.  They always seemed like the most Caucasian race in the book - although apparently as I've learned from this thread, Brandon sees the Shin as the most Caucasian race, so I'm not really sure what he intends with the Iriali. 

Whenever Evi talked in the book, I imagined her voice with a poised French accent, very delicate and nasal.  So I see the Iriali as fair skinned, blonde-haired, French-speaking, ethnic Scandinavians.  

4 hours ago, Llarimar said:

I imagine them as Scandinavian in appearance, with fair skin and pale blonde hair.  They always seemed like the most Caucasian race in the book - although apparently as I've learned from this thread, Brandon sees the Shin as the most Caucasian race, so I'm not really sure what he intends with the Iriali. 

Whenever Evi talked in the book, I imagined her voice with a poised French accent, very delicate and nasal.  So I see the Iriali as fair skinned, blonde-haired, French-speaking, ethnic Scandinavians.  

Maybe, with a metallic spin on blonde hair. But with somewhat Asiatic eyes? 

Actually, that sounds a bit like east Finland/Karelia.

Image result for karelian peopleImage result for karelian man

• Chaos locked this topic