Nighblood's Metal

Fringe

11 minutes ago, BeskarKomrk said:

Do you have a source on it being made of steel? I don't remember seeing that.

It is directly stated in the book.  

Nightblood should not be alive. And yet he was. Shashara had always been the most talented of them, far more capable than Vasher himself, who had used tricks— like encasing bones in steel or stone— to make his creations. Shashara had been spurred on by the knowledge that she’d been shown up by Yesteel and the development of ichor-alcohol. She had studied, experimented, practiced. And she’d done it. She’d learned to forge the Breath of a thousand people into a piece of steel, Awaken it to sentience, and give it a Command. That single Command took on immense power, providing a foundation for the personality of the object Awakened.

Sanderson, Brandon. Warbreaker (p. 482). Tom Doherty Associates. Kindle Edition. 

3 minutes ago, Mistwraith13 said:

Aluminum is Allomantically inert, maybe it is Investiture inert as well providing extra protection from Nightblood. 

Even ignoring investiture though a steel sword should cut through an aluminum sheath,

Spoiler

especially when a radiant is swinging it.

Edit: minor OB spoiler.

Edited by asterion137

4 minutes ago, asterion137 said:

Even ignoring investiture though a steel sword should cut through an aluminum sheath,

Reveal hidden contents

For that matter Nightblood Rams itself, sheath and all through its victims chests, so it has to be enhanced somehow. 

@StormingTexan thanks! I was looking at some recent WoBs and somehow got it in my head that we didn't know what Nightblood was made of.

@asterion137 there's a relevant WoB here: https://wob.coppermind.net/events/115-general-twitter-2017/#e1442

Summary: Peter thinks that aluminum stops Shardblades from magically cutting anything, but a sword can still slice through thin enough pieces of aluminum. I would imagine there's a similar situation going on with the sheath. It may be an alloy that gives it enough structural strength while retaining the Investiture blocking capabilities of pure aluminum, or it may be magically enhanced in some way.

12 hours ago, asterion137 said:

Hide contents

Depends on how thick the sheath is. If it is like 1/4" plate thickness it would still be impossible to cut through it with a steel sword. Sure it could mar and scratch it but cutting all the way through would be impossible by swinging a steel sword I'd think. 

• 4 months later...

I mean if the sheath is a perfect fit the actual sharp part of the blade might never touch it. Imagine that the sheath is a half inch longer than the sword and like a quarter inch wider with the hilt stopping it from reaching the edges. If this is the case perhaps it could cut through the sheath if it was not inside it but I don't really see any issues with the magic system here seems more of a physical issue. 

20 hours ago, handleCUP said:

I mean if the sheath is a perfect fit the actual sharp part of the blade might never touch it. Imagine that the sheath is a half inch longer than the sword and like a quarter inch wider with the hilt stopping it from reaching the edges. If this is the case perhaps it could cut through the sheath if it was not inside it but I don't really see any issues with the magic system here seems more of a physical issue. 

I don't think they're saying it would cut through the sheath when placed inside of it but rather (Oathbringer spoilers):

Spoiler

In OB, the Edgedancer-like fused steals the sheath from Szeth and full on blocks him swinging Nightblood at it. So you can swing NB as hard as you possibly can, and it still seems like it can't cut through the sheath.

On 12/5/2017 at 6:54 PM, asterion137 said:

why can't nightblood cut through its sheath if it's made out of steel and the sheath is aluminum?

Also something to think about is Dalinar caught Szeth swinging once. Shardbearers tend to be kinda lazy with their swings because it easily cuts everything. He may not have swung as hard as he could.

Aluminum itself is Investure-ly inert. Aluminum defies all Investure whether: (possible OB spoiler)

Spoiler

Allomancy, Surgebinding, or Awakening. As we see in Mistborn when Vin uses aluminum it clears her from all her metals making it inert. It would probably be the same with Nightblood. 

Cosmere Aluminium is more resistent than our world aluminium.

This allows stuffs like Nightblood rammed in the Chest and others.

But yeah, Aluminium negates Nightblood's magical cut and then is Just heavy sword VS sturdy shealth.

• 3 weeks later...
On 4/12/2018 at 11:12 PM, Naurock said:

Also something to think about is Dalinar caught Szeth swinging once. Shardbearers tend to be kinda lazy with their swings because it easily cuts everything. He may not have swung as hard as he could.

That's partially because Shardblades are lighter than regular steel. Nightblood is heavier than regular steel and bigger than a regular sword (he was made for Returned), so it's still surprising that an aluminum sheath was able to block it so easily.

Edited by shadowwisp

On 5/2/2018 at 9:04 AM, shadowwisp said:

That's partially because Shardblades are lighter than regular steel. Nightblood is heavier than regular steel and bigger than a regular sword (he was made for Returned), so it's still surprising that an aluminum sheath was able to block it so easily.

Yes, Nightblood is heavier than expected. There's lots of factors here, and a major one is as @Yata points out Cosmere Aluminum is stronger than Earth aluminum. But even if we're going by the above phrase, a regular longsword according to this website, is...

For example, the lengthy catalog of swords from the famed Wallace Collection Museum in London readily lists dozens of fine specimens among which it is difficult to find any weighing in excess of 4 pounds. Indeed, the majority of specimens, from arming swords to two-handers to rapiers, weigh much less than three pounds.

If a regular sword is less than 3 pounds anything even a pound more is going to feel substantially heavier. So I feel we can resonably assume Nightblood weighs maybe 5 pounds at most.

My point is that there is a difference between swinging a weapon fast and swinging a weapon hard. To this point in OB... 

Spoiler

The book states anything even nicked by the blade is turned to smoke.

So, I really don't believe Szeth, who we've already seen demonstrate a lazy swing, was swinging for force; just speed. I am not shocked the sheath blocked the attack.

Edited by Naurock
Grammar

• 2 weeks later...

aluminum is an odd metal in a lot of ways, not just in the cosmere sense. aluminum get stronger the more compact it is, a bar of aluminum will essentially get stronger the more you hit it with a hammer. 

part of how strong the sheath is depends on how it was made and i think @BeskarKomrk might be onto something with it actually being an aluminum alloy. 

the aluminum bullets in mistborn era two are not pure aluminum, they are an alloy as a pure aluminum bullet would not be very effective.

8 hours ago, etmental said:

aluminum is an odd metal in a lot of ways, not just in the cosmere sense. aluminum get stronger the more compact it is, a bar of aluminum will essentially get stronger the more you hit it with a hammer. 

If you're curious, that's not just specific to aluminum.  You can do that with steel as well, as one example.  It's called work hardening.

5 hours ago, Journey Before Pancakes said:

If you're curious, that's not just specific to aluminum.  You can do that with steel as well, as one example.  It's called work hardening.

interesting! i knew it was possible with aluminum and gold, but i didn’t know it was that common among lots of metals. thankyou!

but that just work hardens my point, aluminum could possibly be strong enough alone (or as an alloy) to be nightblood’s sheath. 

• 2 weeks later...

Beyond all the prevoiusly stated reasons we know alluminium resists investiture and Nightblood outputs a lot of destructive investiture, investiturecause to push the blade ond sheeth away dispercing the inpact.

• 5 weeks later...
  • Chaos locked this topic