[OB] Disunity among the Radiants

I'mAStickFanClub

I believe that Szeth will try to execute Balat Davar, Shallan's oldest living brother, for the crime of murder during book four. Balat has a past of troubling behavior; going to blood sports just to watch the pain and violence, torturing animals to death, and even setting fire to the servant's sleeping quarters at the Davar manor. Shallan thinks he is better now that their father is dead and he is married, but we see from the WoK chapter from his viewpoint that he still needs to torture animals to relieve stress. Now he and the rest of the family have just been traveling across a civil war torn country in the custody of the Ghost-Bloods (not exactly stress relieving)  to get to Urithiru. It seems inevitable that he will cross the line at some point and begin murdering in the tower. Whether this is the influence of one of the unmade or mental illness the result doesn't change; Balat is a walking time bomb.

What will Dalinar say? Will he allow Szeth to pursue justice against his son-in-law? Will Kaladin try to stop it? Balat has missed all the changes towards a classless society, and so he will likely try to restrict his victims to Darkeyes. What about Adolin? I would love to know what everybody is thinking. This is my first topic post so hopefully the discussion goes well.

Edited by I'mAStickFanClub

Its an interesting idea. I could see it happening, or at the very least Shallan's brothers been a cause of problems. I'm not sure if Szeth would be the first to have issues with them, since his idea of right and wrong are hazy. Since he has tied Dalinar as his anchor he may not consider anythig to be wrong unless Dalinar says so. 

I suspect Shallan's brothers will cause trouble, since they still think of Shallan as their younger sister, sheltered and unimportant. The change in mindset to accepting she is the wife of a highprince and a KR may take them some time to accept. All of her brothers seemed a walking disaster for me. One was a sadist, another had gaming addiction and the last wanted to commit suicide. Walking around Urithiru with all the mix of cultures, societies and changing rules it just seems like a problem waiting to explode. The only reason I'm willing to give them the benefit of the doubt is its almost certain an Unmade was influencing most of their lives, and we saw how badly Dalinar handled that in his time.

Currently, Szeth's idea of right and wrong is whatever Dalinar says; he isn't going to be some vigilante lawman in Urithiru. 

However, I think all of Shallan's brothers are huge liabilities for her in different ways, possibly Balat most of all. I do not think it is a good thing they are there, and I am really worried about the trouble they can cause Shallan. She has enough problems already, and I can see a myriad of possibilities from Jushu or Balat embarrassing her, the presence of her brothers pulling her back into the past (not a good place for Shallan), to the Ghostbloods using them as leverage. Hopefully, this will be a personal problem that Adolin can actually help with, because Shallan needs to fix her other problems on her own.

1 hour ago, Calyx said:

However, I think all of Shallan's brothers are huge liabilities for her in different ways, possibly Balat most of all. I do not think it is a good thing they are there, and I am really worried about the trouble they can cause Shallan. She has enough problems already, and I can see a myriad of possibilities from Jushu or Balat embarrassing her, the presence of her brothers pulling her back into the past (not a good place for Shallan), to the Ghostbloods using them as leverage. Hopefully, this will be a personal problem that Adolin can actually help with, because Shallan needs to fix her other problems on her own.

I agree. We saw how she reverted to a previous mindset when Jasnah showed up. How will she respond to her brothers being around? The last time she saw them she has just killed their father. It will be interesting to see how she handles this in the midst of the rest of her instability. It's will be two worlds colliding.

I also look forward to seeing how they integrate into Urithiru. I like Wikim, I hope he does well.

2 hours ago, Calyx said:

Currently, Szeth's idea of right and wrong is whatever Dalinar says; he isn't going to be some vigilante lawman in Urithiru. 

So this brings up an interesting alternative to my theory. It has been stated elsewhere that the Edgedancers are very therapist-y. Maybe Adolin can be the one to heal the brothers, simultaneously getting closer to reviving Maya in the process.

16 hours ago, I'mAStickFanClub said:

I believe that Szeth will try to execute Balat Davar, Shallan's oldest living brother, for the crime of murder during book four. Balat has a past of troubling behavior; going to blood sports just to watch the pain and violence, torturing animals to death, and even setting fire to the servant's sleeping quarters at the Davar manor.

I think Balat might pull apart the wrong cremling... Even if it's just a back up nose, a Dysian Aimian probably wouldn't take too kindly to it being slowly ripped apart, and there is probably at least one Sleepless in Urithiru. Shallan should convince him to pull apart shale bark or something.

I agree though, still fractured Shallan is in a bad place for her reunion with her brothers, but who knows, they might be radiants in the making. Stormfather knows they have enough in their past to be broken enough for a couple Nahel bonds each.

What type of Radiants do you think they would be?

Quick guess, Balat, Dustbringer.

Jushu, umm pass.

Wikim, truthwatcher (he and Renarin should play chess together, I love chess by the way).

Edited by hoiditthroughthegrapevine

• Chaos locked this topic