Sanderson watches Scholagladiatoria!!!!

Julio

Well, I was reading through Arcanum for one of the newer signings.... and I came across this. 

Questioner [PENDING REVIEW]

How do you write the *inaudible* fighting, like the fencing aspect of it? <I guess you do> all the research for that, the way the Shards actually work?

Brandon Sanderson [PENDING REVIEW]

So, the fight scenes, right? The first drafts are usually pretty bad. I kind of just get down what's happening, who it's happening to, what I want the outcome to be. And then I do a lot of refining, and I try to find people who are actual fencers...

And I usually try to add something to my worlds that doesn't exist in our worlds, like Shardblades and things, just so I can have a little more suspension of disbelief for people like yourself, where you're like "Well, they have different positions."

But I do try to get some primary sources who can tell me where I'm doing stuff really bad. Matt Easton's YouTube channel is really great for that. Schola Gladitoria, Matt Easton. When I have two people who are fighting with actual weapons, I go... he usually has done some HEMA things where you see, like, ten bouts with that. And I can watch it, and be like "Alright, this is how it would go down."

Matt Easton isn't my favourite youtuber - that goes to Lloyd, aka Lindybeige, but I've watched a LOT of Easton's videos. So this was awesome. 

Sorry for the randomness, I just needed to share my excitement somewhere.

• Chaos locked this topic