Vin instinctively burning gold in the first book.

saitogaika

Vin instinctively burning metals is a known fact. She was burning Tin and Pewter without even knowing when she tried to scam March.

In my third read of the book, I notice a small passage, in chapter 24 right after the spook slang joke:

Vin felt…contented. As she sipped at her wine, she caught sight of the open doorway leading into the darkened workshop. She imagined, just for a moment, that she could see a figure out in the shadows—a frightened wisp of a girl, untrusting, suspicious. The girl’s hair was ragged and short, and she wore a simple, untucked dirty shirt and a pair of brown trousers.

Not only vin could see her other self but she also was able to know what she was thinking. It feel more like burning gold to me that just imagination.

It made me wonder if vin did instinctively burn some unknown metals (her that era) like Bendalloy or Cadmium.

This is my first post and English is my third language, I am sorry in advance if I made any mistakes.

That is an amazing point! The only question would be how she got the gold. Do you think that she could have been drawing tiny bits of Preservation’s power when she didn’t have her earring?

For example, her pewter reserves were replenished automatically just after she drew upon preservation’s power to defeat the Lord Ruler.

Could she take in small amounts of metals whenever her earring isn’t on?

Good observation! I've brought this point up myself; I'm trying to remember where I thought she got the gold from. This scene takes place after a ball, right? If there were gold-plated utensils, or some nonsense rich-person food that bad bits of gold in it as a show of ostentation, that could be where she got the gold from.

2 hours ago, Pagerunner said:

Good observation! I've brought this point up myself; I'm trying to remember where I thought she got the gold from. This scene takes place after a ball, right? If there were gold-plated utensils, or some nonsense rich-person food that bad bits of gold in it as a show of ostentation, that could be where she got the gold from.

Hmm. Was this before or after Kelsier taught Vin about gold Allomancy, I wonder? As I recall, Kell took a file and shaved off bits of a gold coin for them both to burn. Maybe Vin didn't burn all of that gold and just sort of forgot she had it in her system. Gold wouldn't make you sick unless it had a significant amount of impurities, so she wouldn't have necessarily noticed burning it off. 

Edited by Unlicensed Hemalurgist

• Chaos locked this topic