Graphic Audio

fievelgoespostal

Just a heads up ( not sure if this is the correct forum) that Graphic Audio is having a sale on The Way of Kings CD.  All 5 parts are only $10.00 each. They are normally $20. I just picked up the entire set from ebay a few months ago.   While I really really enjoy the normal narrators from the Audible version, Graphic Audio does a very nice job of producing a movie like experience in your head if you want something different.

https://www.graphicaudio.net/our-productions/series/stormlight-archive.html

Note:  You have to add each of the 5 parts to your cart separately. There doesnt appear to be the option to select the entire set for Way of Kings with 1 click.

I've always wanted to give this a try, the samples sound great, but it is still a little too expensive in my opinion; especially when the other audiobook can be obtained rather cheaply. I don't really understand the business model of selling 1/5 of a book. I would be willing to pay $30 dollars for the entire set.

Thanks for the information though! Maybe one of these days when I am in a better financial position.

Ah I may check this out. I have all of Brandon's books on Audible (great to prevent road rage) but have never tried the GA mainly because they are so expensive. I have listened to audio books of Dune and Hyperion that has a similar set up with multiple voice actors and it does really almost turn the book into a movie. 

The Stormlight Archive Graphic Audiobooks are like a luxury audiobook. Like the OP said, I enjoy Michael Kramer and Kate Reading but, it is nice to have a full cast for the voices that the narrators have trouble doing justice to, mostly members of the opposite sex. Accompanying sound effects and a good score add some great ambiance. Fair warning, they did miscast a couple characters in my opinion. Michael Kramer does a much better job with Lopen than the guy they got in the Graphic Audio one. Regardless, if you love Stormlight and have some disposable income or can take advantage of a good sale, it can definitely be worth it. Can't wait for them to release Oathbringer.

For the rest of today, December 6th(yeah i know..a little late lol)..their overstock is only $5. Their overstock includes the entirety of Way of Kings...so $25 . 

On 11/30/2017 at 8:32 PM, Ammanas said:

I've always wanted to give this a try, the samples sound great, but it is still a little too expensive in my opinion; especially when the other audiobook can be obtained rather cheaply. I don't really understand the business model of selling 1/5 of a book. I would be willing to pay $30 dollars for the entire set.

Thanks for the information though! Maybe one of these days when I am in a better financial position.

• 2 weeks later...

I've listened to both WoK and WoR on Graphic Audio.
These are essentially told like the radio plays of earlier decades.
I will say that the characters when I read the books now have the GA voices.
I think Dalinar and Syl are done perfectly, I actually enjoyed The Lopen, reminded on Michael Pena's character from 'Ant-Man'.
I wasn't impressed by Navani who I think sounded too much like an old lady rather than the strong, Alethi matriarch she is in the books.
Special mention to the Narrator, Dylan Lynch, he does the job perfectly.

*** Small spoilers for WoK and WoR below  ***

Chapter: He who Saves in WoR
To hear Syl actually screaming at Kaladin and the Stormfather, then to suffer along with Kaladin and hear him speak the third Oath through tears and pain.
It sends chills through you. I cannot recommend the Graphic Audio versions of these books enough.

For me I've read WoK and WoR 3 times each and listened to the GA of both twice. I find the GA best for when multi-tasking as I already know the story and can listen with half an ear as it were.
I do think the prices are a little high, however, you are paying for over a hundred hours of audio and voice actors time. I assume the background ambient sounds are all stock audio.

10 hours ago, Vercent said:

I've listened to both WoK and WoR on Graphic Audio.
These are essentially told like the radio plays of earlier decades.
I will say that the characters when I read the books now have the GA voices.
I think Dalinar and Syl are done perfectly, I actually enjoyed The Lopen, reminded on Michael Pena's character from 'Ant-Man'.
I wasn't impressed by Navani who I think sounded too much like an old lady rather than the strong, Alethi matriarch she is in the books.
Special mention to the Narrator, Dylan Lynch, he does the job perfectly.

*** Small spoilers for WoK and WoR below  ***

Chapter: He who Saves in WoR
To hear Syl actually screaming at Kaladin and the Stormfather, then to suffer along with Kaladin and hear him speak the third Oath through tears and pain.
It sends chills through you. I cannot recommend the Graphic Audio versions of these books enough.

For me I've read WoK and WoR 3 times each and listened to the GA of both twice. I find the GA best for when multi-tasking as I already know the story and can listen with half an ear as it were.
I do think the prices are a little high, however, you are paying for over a hundred hours of audio and voice actors time. I assume the background ambient sounds are all stock audio.

Yes, yes, YES! A million times yes, everything Vercent said here is 100% accurate for me too. Reading OB the voices in my head were those of the voice actors for the GA versions. I did like Navani I have to admit, wasn't how I first pictured the voice but it grew on me. I do especially love Syl and Shallan, their voices were perfect for how I had first imagined them and I honestly could not envision them any other way now.

As for the Chapter quoted, I actually heard this as a tiny extract before purchasing GA. This tiny 1-2 minute clip of that scene convinced me to get these versions of the book. I could not recommend it another. I'm out and about all day with my business, which works perfectly with listening to audio books, and I was so happy when I discovered Graphic Audio.

Edit/ Just realised how this may look, both me and Vercent are new posters with similar names. I promise you we're different people.

Edited by Verdank

On 12/19/2017 at 10:04 PM, Verdank said:

Edit/ Just realised how this may look, both me and Vercent are new posters with similar names. I promise you we're different people.

And we're not employed Graphic Audio at all!
*Looks Shifty*
*Runs away*
*Hides around corner*
:D

• Chaos locked this topic