[OB][Spoilers] The Real Old Magic

teknopathetic

The humans seem to think that the old magic refers to the Nightwatcher, but i dont think that is the case. Odium must have had a magic system before he started to invest/corrupt Roshar. I think we have some clues as to what the humans had been using for magic. I noticed that two of the pictures were were given had 9, not 10 aspects: wine and horses.

Ryshadium likely were one time invested by Odium, and that is part of the reason why humans can bond them - its a remnant of the old connection to Odium. Perhaps Cultivation has mixed up the magic a bit, but the Shin still bread the horses on the Human Reservation 

The 8 colors of wine with a spot for the 9th? I have no idea. The chart only shows 8, but has left a spot for a nineth. It also says that wine spren only show up in foriegn nations (closer to Shinivar?). Also, why do winespren show up to someone from Threnody so easily? 

The first color says it is believed to grant a power, but the rest just go into the flavor. Could there be more to this? 

IMG_0333.PNG

IMG_0334.PNG

Edited by teknopathetic

59 minutes ago, teknopathetic said:

Ryshadium likely were one time invested by Odium, and that is part of the reason why humans can bond them - its a remnant of the old connection to Odium. Perhaps Cultivation has mixed up the magic a bit, but the Shin still bread the horses on the Human Reservation 

“Horses weren’t terribly well known back then. Radiants had Ryshadium, but even kings had little access to ordinary horses.”

WoR Chapter 25 "Monster"

Ryshadium had stone hooves, and bonding spren is no so uncommon thing on roshar. (some purelake's fish are bonding some spren) and i think if the radiants were the first to ride them they don't have any link to odium.

Ryshadium have stone hooves, and are adapted to Roshar.  Horses, on the other hand, do not, and almost definitely came with humans when they settled Roshar.  Also, Odium being able to Bond humans is specifically a new thing referred to in the climax of OB as a dangerous turn of events.  

I'd missed seeing that there are 9 colors of wine, but only 8 listed. Something more might be there, along with the rarity of intoxicationspren (per Axies) and winespren.  

• Chaos locked this topic