[OB] The dead pov character that Brandon hinted at previously...

TheKraken

43 minutes ago, MPHRD said:

It is also possible we will get Venli flash backs and Brandon said Eshonai to hide the spoilers. 

I think we can learn more about the listener's past from Eshonai's flashbacks than Venli's flashbacks, as Eshonai was an explorer and had frequent contact with the leaders, while Venli was *just* a scholar.

I agree that it makes a safe presumption to say Eshonai... although I'm not going to put money on it as there could be someone else (and did BS mean the character was already dead by the time he said a dead character or does he mean they will be dead by the time he gets around to writing.

Did he say that there would be only one dead POV character? Because I thought that he just allowed for the possibility that this could happen, and didn't say that it would happen only once. Having said that, Venli as present day character and Eshonai as flashback character is an unusually strong combination to make this device work; presumably the flashbacks will have a lot about Eshonai's relationship with Venli and how that informs Venli's arc in the present.

3 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I find the prospect of a Venli PoV, with Eshonai flashback really appealing. 

I am really on board for it too. Reading Eshonai's prologue chapter in OB really snapped her character into place, so when I was re-reading WoR last month I was really invested in her chapters and I was bummed to learn that she had died. And the Venli chapters slowly had me believing in a redemption arc working for her, and the idea of ordinary Listeners taking a stand against Odium and the Forged is a cool idea. It's probably the thing that I'm most looking forward to in the series at this particular moment.

Something that I'd like somebody to verify: when Sanderson was trying to decide the flashback character for Oathbringer, the two alternatives were Dalinar in Stormlight 3 and Szeth in 5 or vice versa, right? That is, the plan as we understand it now says that Stormlight 4 will be an Eshonai book, right?

2 hours ago, Stromblessed said:

But then he did also say we'll get flashbacks from dead characters.

Two and two make four :P

the original list eshonai don't be named, navani fill her place. i think is a safe bet, but it still a bet.

19 minutes ago, Calderis said:

I don't know about anyone else, but I find the prospect of a Venli PoV, with Eshonai flashback really appealing. 

me too.

I don’t see anyone posting it so I was wondering does anyone else think Timber is Eshonai? To me this would make that book work very well with a sister sister dual POV. Does anyone else think Eshonai was that bright spren under her body? Maybe it takes a Parsh to die bonded to a spren of power to be reborn.  

Ps who else is getting tempted to say “into the weave of the wheel” after saying reborn? Cause I’m feelin it, I’m feelin it. 

3 hours ago, JosephOfHathsin said:

I don’t see anyone posting it so I was wondering does anyone else think Timber is Eshonai? To me this would make that book work very well with a sister sister dual POV. Does anyone else think Eshonai was that bright spren under her body? Maybe it takes a Parsh to die bonded to a spren of power to be reborn.  

No Timber is the daughter of the captain of the ship that the group used to get from the Lighthouse to the city in Shadesmar (not the Honor Spren ship, the other one).

The ship's captain has a father who is a deadspren (killed by broken oaths) and is kept locked up in the ship AND mentions that his daughter ran off on a flight of fancy (or something like that) - sorry can't look up the quote as only have an audio book.

Then when Venli is talking to Timber right at the end of part 5 she talks about how many of her people had been killed by humans, including her own grandfather.

I think that Eshonai was close to bonding Timber though this process was slowed/seriously hindered by the change to storm form - Timber may have been the source of the screams inside Eshonai late in WoR.

Edited by rjl

• Chaos locked this topic